Sunday 23 September 2018

Landsend 3 day festival.

This was the first time Ive fished a three dayer for many years and I gotta admit it was hard work.  I drove down on Thursday evening with my caravan and stayed on a small camping park about 90 seconds from the venue which was very handy. But the weather was atrocious. Gale force winds and torrential rain. and it was to continue into the weekend. the first night I thought the caravan was gonna take off and the rain kept me awake most of the night. first day of fishing and i was at the venue cafe early for a big breakfast. The rain had stopped mostly but the wind was howling and blowing in all directions. Into the draw bucket and out pops 42 on lake three. I was pretty happy with it but this lake can be temperamental and the weights could come from anywhere. The series was run on an open draw first day then rotate around the other lakes for the next two days. But you were with the same anglers each day. I had Tom Thick next to me on 41 so plenty of chatting would be going on, and Ken Rayner opposite on 70. To keep the blog short it will be a quick run down on each day. I caught early at 13 meters to the island taking 8 in the first hour but with the wind switching around it blew a load of surface crap down the lake and it became almost impossible to drop a rig in, plus the tow was terrible. I was thinking of putting a crow quill avon on. So it forced me to come into the left hand edge fishing pellet or maggot over ground bait and it proved to be a good move. I caught well in the middle two hours and put a big enough lead on to make sure Toms strong finish didn`t peg me back. So I had a section win first day with 146lb. Second day I went from hero to zero in one quick move. I drew peg 25 on Speci lake, which is a killer of a peg that is just about impossible to do any good from. It is barren of any aquatic life. Well it proved to be that way. I had 2 carp and an F1 for 10lb and the end of my chance of winning anything. and with it pouring with rain for the whole day without a break it made it a miserable day. Tony Rixon opposite did better taking just over 50lb from the hay basket along the end bank but did loose alot to the basket. Tom again had a good day and won the section so he was well in contension. Day three and with the weather vastly better today I was on match lake which is my favourite lake at the venue and I drew peg 1. I fancied the other bank as thats the most consistent on the lake but peg 1 was a good peg so I wasnt to displeased. I started against the end of the island and caught well for a while and had about 40lb in the net in the first 90 minutes. but I lost a couple in a snag that I managed to drag out of the reed and it became a real pain to avoid it. so I came in on the top 5 meat line I had been feeding and stayed on that line for most of the remaining time. It wasnt hectic as I had to play the waiting game for bites but at least I kept going all day. I did try the margin line several times but it didnt fire up like I hoped it would so most of my fish came on the short meat line. I finished with 138lb for another section win. but with the dissasterous second day it wasnt enough to win anything.lake winner was Bob gullick on 21 with just over 200lb. Tom again had a good day with over 190lb and it was enough to take the individual honours for the festival. sorry I haven`t got all the results but ill try and tag them to this when ken put hem up. A good few days was had by all and it was thanks to Mike Ducket and Ken Rayner for running it.

No comments:

Post a Comment