Saturday 23 July 2016

Acorn saturday open.

Off to Acorn fishery for the fortnightly Saturday open . With the weather looking good and recent results I was hoping a few would turn up, but no. Just three of us. I just don't understand it. The place is fishing it's nuts off and being so close to Bristol you'd think this would be popular with the locals. A good cooked breakfast and a good comp, what more do people want. I surprised Bev continues to bother with the Saturday comps with this sort of support. I was tempted to head off to Landsend but decided it wouldn't be fair to leave the other two that turned up so we decided to have a winner take all knock up. Fair play to Bev, she didn't charge us any peg fee so the pot was worth winning. Barty was on the long island clearing  all the margin grasses that had got out of control and boy!!! did he give it a crew cut. Back to the mud banks. And while he was doing it the carp were trying to climb up the digger bucket. They were going nuts in the dirty water feeding. We decided to fish pegs 6, 9 and 11. Mark Walsh drew 11, venue newbie Ross Stewart was on 6 and I had peg 9. To keep it short I fished most of the day tight across feeding and fishing pellet. First half of the match was frustrating as I was loosing two and landing one. Mark was doing the same fishing paste short. Half way through I had about 50lb in the net and had lost a lot more. Didn't seem as if they were having it properly. So I changed from feeding by catapult and fishing 8mm banded, to potting it in and fishing 6mm banded and this improved things dramatically. Apart from a short stint on the 2+1 line fishing pellet were i took 4 decent carp I stuck to the far side and ended up with around 42 carp. At the end I wanted to feed heavier as they were waiting for it to be potted in so I used 2 pole pots. Looked a bit strange but it doubled my feeding. And it just got stronger as the match ended. At the weigh in, Mark was talking his usual dribble saying he had a bit over 90lb. But I knew he had a lot more as he had quite a few more than me even though they were smaller. His 90lb turned out to be 172lb. Then it was my turn. The first net I weighed was the one I put in with 40 minutes to go and that went 41lb. I totaled 192lb, but!!!! and please dont tell Tony Rixon, I'd gone over the limit in one net by 2lb and it was disqualified so I was  knocked back to 111lb. Bugger!!!!!!. Ross struggled on peg 6 and only managed 32lb. it was a very nice days fishing even if I was a total Wally with my nets but the banter was good. Hope you enjoy the bottle of wine your gonna buy with the winnings Mark. Don't choke on it lol.the next open is in two weeks. If ya want a good day get your asses down there and support the fishery.

No comments:

Post a Comment