Sunday 14 August 2016

Landsend saturday open.

Early start today as i was expecting the motorway to be busy again, and i wasn't disappointed. All the weekenders had jumped on the motorway to join the gridlock heading south for the weekend. Still got to the fishery with plenty of time to enjoy a fab cooked breakfast. 10 fishing today so lots of room and I was hoping for a draw between 13  and 19 as this seemed to be the best area of late, and was happy when 13 got stuck in my hand. A corner peg at the far end that I had drawn a couple of times this year already and framed both times with good weights. Got to the peg and was surprised how much the overhanging tree has grown. It now goes from the end bank to the left out to 5 metres to my right and is reachable easily with 5 section. Combined with it being only a few feet off the water it's becoming a nuisance to fish long. It realy needs to come out before it falls in as the trunk seams to  be leaning more and more over the water. For company today I had Rod Wooten to my right, and it was good to see he was walking upright again. He has looked pretty rough with a bad back lately. Beyond him was Dave Wescott. Opposite was Roy ?. Sorry but don't know his last name. Four rigs today. A .1 shalla slim to fish tight against the afore mentioned tree stump at 6 metres and also to the point of the island at 16 1/2 metres. I was still a metre short but this side of the island has a decent shallow shelf that I could reach. A .2 margin  diamond to fish pellet in 2 feet to my right towards the next platform. It was snaggy after 6 metres along that bank to that as far as I went. A .4 slim to fish pellet at 16 metres s towards the airiator. And another .4 slim for a meat line at 2+2 just short of the overhanging tree. At the start all  lines were fed and it was out to the island. Fish were straight onto the loose feed but we're shying away from the banded pellet and it was ten minute before I got my first carp. Back out and a pouch of pellets and it erupted again but again it took a while for the next fish. This went on for 90 minutes were I managed about 6 fish. Not the start I wanted. These fish can be very cagey sometimes. Rod was realy struggling with one carp and one roach. Roy opposite was fishing for silvers and was putting the odd fish in the net, but from what I could tell it wasn't on fire around the lake. A look along the end bank only produced one bite and lost fish and that was it for that line for the day. The meat line was dead so that was 20 minutes wasted. As was the right margin. Even the long line toward the airiator was void of action. Back out on the island line and I just plugged away getting the odd fish but it was a waiting game. Rod had taken a couple by now but like my fish they were on the small fish. Roy had now started to get the odd carp and from the silence I guessed Mark Walsh was catching. I managed a couple from the margin but after 3 lost fish I thought I'd rest it and with 90 to go I tried the airiator line again, planing on doing that for 30 minutes as it was fizzing and trying the margin for the last hour, and had a small carp first drop. Five minute's later the best carp of the day was landed. But all I could get then was fast missed bites. So instead of putting that rig down and trying the margin again I stubbornly tried to get more out there. Big mistake. When I did come into the margin it was solid, even though they weren't big. In the last 40 minute's I put 8 in the net and lost 4. I had about 25 carp by the end for what I thought was around 80lb. At the weigh in Mark was leading when I weighed with 92-10. My nets went 88-2. Bugger!!! Wasting time fishing for phantom bites cost me as I managed second with that weight. Rod put 51-12 on the scales but had a torrid time loosing loads in the last hour from awkward for striking  and not setting the hook properly. Russ Peck had a decent second half on peg 19 with 63-0 of shallow caught fish. I guess they say you learn by your mistakes and I did today. Dont waste too much time chasing fish that ain't having it properly. Not fishing the margin early enough was an expensive lesson.

1st mark Walsh 92-10 peg 5
2nd me 88-2 peg 13
3rd Russ Peck 63-0 peg 19
4th Roy ? 60-12 peg11

1st in silvers Mark Walsh 14-8

No comments:

Post a Comment