Tuesday 30 August 2016

Gary Wall memorial match Landsend fishery

Bank holiday Monday and I guess there's only one thing to do, so it was off down the M5 to Landsend for this anual comp. Started off with a cooked brekkie which went down a treat as usual. Into the draw bucket late and out pops 21. A good peg, that I'm not sure I've fished  before, but it would be the same attack as usual at this venue. A pellet rig for 16m tight to the island in 10 inches of water. A meat rig for 2+2 and a shallow rig to fish meat over the top. Plus a margin rig to fish 8mm pellet at 8m along my left margin next to a very inviting patch of Lillie's. After feeding all lines I started on the shallow meat line but nothing happened after 15 minutes and the tail wagging on the far side was just too tempting. So the next couple of hours was spent over there. But it was hard, as it's so shallow the fish were very spooky. Even though they were feeding on the loose fed pellets they are very clued up to hook baits and ignored the banded pellets, so bites were a premium. But as it sounded as though it was slow for everybody I stuck with it. After three hours and only eight fish. I gave the deep meat line a try. Only one carp resulted in 15 minutes so a look in the margin. First drop in produced a 2lb tench, then a pesky roach. Then a good carp of around 10lb. But that was it for then. Back on the island line and I upped the loose feed and managed a decent run of 6 fish but then one decided to take my elastic. So it was back to the margin for the last hour as Joe McMahon was doing  well next to me, and I took 5 more including a couple of proper margin lumps. I thought it would be close around the lake and it was with 6 anglers within 7lb of each other. My net went 111-7 for nowhere. Joe managed 118-2 for second on the lake. Lake winner was Ken Rainer with just over 160lb. Sorry not 100% sure of weight as my phone battery went so no weigh sheet. Second, on lake three, was Alan Oram with 149lb. Think I managed 6th. Highlight was Trigger coming 7th with 111lb, and threatening to give up fishing. We retrieved his dummy in the car park later. Can I have your pole for spares Trig.

No comments:

Post a Comment