Thursday 14 June 2018

Acorn Tuesday open.

I finally got my arse in gear to do this blog, three days late. A decent turnout with 17 fishing. Into the draw bag early and I got peg 5 stuck to my grubby little paw. I calmly sprinted to the peg lol, its a good one. First peg on the island where the wind was blowing in. And was it ever blowing. It was a minor hurricane . Glad it was mainly in the face, but fishing across at 14 metres turned out to be just about impossible. But I wasn`t too worried as this peg has a couple of very good catch areas. 2+2 to the left at 10 o`clock angle and tight to the left margin at the point of the island, where there is a nice flat spot that goes out a couple of feet that`s about two feet deep. I set up a far side .15 Slim to try if the wind dropped. Two margin rigs, one for a bulk and another for a softer drop. And a silvers rig to fish 2+2 to my right (never got used). I mixed up some GB and paste to fish the margin, but at the start Id put 12 lumps of paste on in 5 minutes, so that just shows I had , yet again,  a silvers problem early on. I put a 6mm pellet on and had a skimmer and decent roach withing a few minutes. So I went out on the 2+2 carp line to my left and stuck on that for 20 minutes with only a couple of  bites and one small carp in that time. The tow was bad so I was glad I`d put a .5 slim on. The wind was dropping occassionally and I did try the far side but I`d only get a minute or two where I could not hold my pole over there. So I didn`t stick it out too long event though I was getting indications and had one about 5lb. I think the other indications were just liners from the float dragging through. Half way through and I had around 30 lb in the net with a couple taken down the edge and another at 2+2. But then  they moved in on the margin line and it was a bit crazy. I only had to put 6 pellets in and it erupted with loads of fish crashing around, and foul hookers was a nightmare. I was putting a few in the net but I lost around 35 during the day from that line. Plus I was still getting the odd good roach from that area. It was almost an indication every ten seconds as I struggled to get a rig in through them. I`m sure a few less fish in the peg would have resulted in a lot more fish hooked properly. Its a bit strange to say there were too many fish but that`s how it was. The lighter, slower falling rig was the best as it didnt seem to spook the fish as much as the bulked rig. At the end I had around 25 in the net plus the silvers and was confident I had well over a ton. The guys on 6, 9, and 11 and 14 were weighed in well ahead of me and 3 of them had over a ton. The scales got to me and my total was 119-03 for second on the day.
Getting closer to a long awaited win. Top dog on the day was Chris Fox on peg 21 with 134-00. second was Gary Flinders on peg 11 with 117-00. Hopefully the fish will settle soon after they finish spawning as there were still a few crashing around and two creamed me when I was unhooking them. But it was a good day overall with 6 ton plus weights. Weigh sheet below.

No comments:

Post a Comment