Tuesday 19 June 2018

Saturday Lands End open. 16/6/2018

Very late again doing this blog. Really need to kick myself up the arse. After another very nice breakfast it was into the cabin for the draw. Only 8 fishing today, which was a disappointment, but there were a few other matches on  today in the area. I managed to drag peg 24 out. A few months ago I wouldn`t have been very happy but now the fish have spread out around the lake it can be won from anywhere. Got to the peg and there was a gentle breeze blowing straight off my back so fishing was going to be easy at any length today. I set up two rigs for the end bank. One full depth and one to fish up in the water. An .3 SS Margin edge rig for next to platform 23. and two .4 slims to fish open water. One for silvers at 14 metres and one for meat at 5 metres. Opposite me I had Rod Wotton on his usual peg 1 for company. At the start I went straight onto the meat rig and it wasn`t long before I had a couple of decent F1`s and a roach in the net but after 20 minutes the bites dried up. Don`t think there were any carp mooching around yet. So I went along the end bank at half depth and straight away the float was dipping and moving around from whitebait.
There were carp moving so I stuck with it and took a couple of half decent fish in the next 30 minutes but the roach were a pain. Back out on the meat line and again loads of indications but no connections except a skimmer. A look along the margin next on 8mm pellet and the same there. What is it with me and tiny silvers. I seem to be getting this problem everywhere at the mo. A couple of fish started showing shallow so I got the shallow edge rig and started flicking it around, but it was just roach having ago. Back along the end bank shallow but no fish showing so it was the deeper end bank rig next and four carp came my way before they moved off. The middle of the match slowed and only a couple of roach and decent skimmer was added from the margin. Then at 3 o`clock the wind had a severe change. It went from a breeze off my back to blowing down the lake in a few seconds and it was like a mini hurricane. I`ve never seen it change like that in such a short time. That killed off any chance of fishing a 14 metres along the end bank. I couldn`t get the pole out there, as when I tried it was blown up over the tree stumps and I wasn`t risking breaking a section. I tried several times but couldn`t hold it after about 5 section went out. so the rest of the match was spent along my left margin as it was pointing straight into the wind. Even then I had a few moments were it was smacked into the bushes. But it paid off in the end. It took until the half last hour to get them going feeding 6mm pellets and fishing 8`s after and initial heavy ground baiting and I hooked 9 in the last 30 minutes landing 7. And they were better fish on average. At the end a guess of around 90lb was mad. Rod opposite was first to weigh and put 55.12 on the scales.
Russ peck on 11 took top honours on that bank with 64-00 from peg 11. He should have done better from there. He draws it every week 😂.  Beannie was on 13 and had 68-02 from peg 13, which is the best weight I`ve seen from that peg for a while. Dom on 18 had some late carp that took him to 80-09. I was last to weigh and was very close to my guestimate with 85-14 and top weight for the day. It was pretty consistant around the lake today so it made it nice and close. Hopefully I`m back next Saturday as the shifts in my new job might be different than what I thought. Full result below.

No comments:

Post a Comment