Saturday 21 March 2020

Mathern Mill saturday open

Short trip to mathern today. Breakfast was brought to the fishery as the previously aranged breakfast at the Millers was cancelled due to all pubs being closed from friday night. 21 fishing today so only one empty peg on the lake. I drew 20 and was pretty happy with that as Norm said anglers had a boat load of carp the day before that end of the lake fishing a pellet feeder and maggot. And i had the empty peg in 21 next to me so a bonus, though pegs 22 and 1 would be the ones to watch. started the match on the pellet feeder but no pull rounds.

 In fact the lake was dead. In the first hour from what I could see only one carp had been caught and no silvers.I tried a maggot line at 10m but the wind was blowing a holligan. It was just about impossible to fish the pole, and even though I did try several times I just could not present a still bait.. It was 2 hours 45 before I got my first bite, a ripper of a pull round on popped up wafter, I was supprised I got it in as it went mental and had me bottomed out on my lineclip for a minute before I made any line on it.i thought cold weather slowed them down. No chance in this place they are the hardest fighting fish I`ve come across. I then tried the laft margin as i`d been feeding it for three hours and took a carp first drop in. Then had to wait another half hour before the next down the margin, but it was a big beast around 14lb. two more late fish on the bomb was my lot for the day. no lost fish and only two missed bites. i did all I could today but it was hard.
paul Nicholls on 22 Has a steady second half of the match catching at 14m by the airator and on a 6m line. Rich Lovering on peg 1 had a few as well. They were able to fish long poles as the wind was more into thier face and was blowing along the pole. The scale came round and Neil Morgan on Peg 11 was top weight with 96lb. My 5 carp went 46-10 which was very close to my guestimate. That ended up third on the day. Paul went a bit better with 55-6 helped by a 15 pounder ten minutes from the end and another right on the all out for second place. A rough day in the wind and very few bites, but thats winter fishing for you. Full results below.

No comments:

Post a Comment