Sunday 4 September 2016

Acorn saturday open.

With the weather forecast looking very dodgy a good draw was important today. Peg 36 would be nice tucked in behind the sheds. Strong winds and rain forecast all day, so not a nice thought. Into the bag and ping pong  ball 18 comes out. Not fished the road bank for ages but the lake has been chucking up weights a over so wasn't too bothered. Got to the peg and it was already blowing hard from left to right, but I could see fish on the far side. Three rigs today, all Slim's. A .1 to fish 6 or 8mm banded tight over in 15 inches. A .4 to fish pellet at 2+2 .  And a .15 to fish worm or caster down the margin. And on that note, I don't think I'll bother taking that bait with me again as all it attracts is whitebait. The first couple of hours was spent fighting the wind at 14 metres. I stuck with it as it was solid over there but because of the wind it was making bait presentation almost impossible. But on the odd occasion it dropped I caught. I could have sacked up over there on another day. But then It got just too strong and after I had the pole blown round at 90 degrees several times and wanting my pole packed away in one piece I decided to put that away. I came in on the usually reliable 2+2 line and got nothing after 20 minutes. So it was the margin line next. And after an hour of nothing I had dropped behind most people by a long way. The young lad on 15 was getting a few on the method flicked to the island and had about 10 fish during my dead period. I got a bomb rod out and tried that and even though there were fish right on it I never got a pull round. So that was 90 fishless minutes. So it was back to the margin were I saw the first tail after swapping to pellet from caster feed and started catching. The last hour and half I put 14 fish in the net and finished with what I thought was 120lb. I was close with 116-14 going on the scales for nowhere today. You will have to look at the weigh sheet photo for the result as I didn't stay due to being a tad wet and it's hard to make out the writing. All in all, it could have been a superb day even though weights were still good but the wind made life realy hard and definitely stopped me catching alot more. But that's fishing for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment