Saturday 7 September 2019

Landsend Saturday open 7/9/2019


Had a weekend off last week as I went to work Saturday then A day out sightseeing Sunday.  So I was looking forward to a day at Landsend. With the three day festival coming up in two weeks, I need the practice to do any good as there will be a very good stamp of angler there. Nice to see a few there this week with ten anglers lined up at the draw. Been a bit disappointing lately with only 5 some weeks. As usual the quid bet was put on with Russ Peck and I was first into the draw bucket as it was the best way to avoid my usual draw. Before I opened up my ticket I asked Beany who would be on peg 24 as it seams only myself or him ever draw it. I opened my ticket and showed it to them and they cracked up laughing. Yep I had it again. I don`t mind the peg as there are now plenty of fish there, though they can be a bit small. That just left Beany to draw peg 1, as when he don`t get peg 24 he usually gets 1. Would you Adam and Eve it, he had peg 1. The odds on this happening so often must be massive. Though when you draw peg 1 you get the option to fish either 1 or 2. Dont ask me why. Thought I try something a bit different today to see what would happen. I planned on starting at 2+2 and feed just 3 or 4 pellets through a toss pot to see if there were any carp sat on that line. So a .3 slim was set up for that on slightly lighter gear than I would normally use. Another .3 slim set up on the usual carp rig in case I started getting big fish. A .2 SS Margin to fish in 10 inches in the margin on both sides. A  .5 slim to fish meat but I wasn`t sure if Id actually try it today. and a .15 Shalla Slim to fish tight to the end bank at 13m. I Started on the 2+2 line and dropped in 4 4mm pellets in as feed and a 6mm in the pellet band. I got an indication straight away that I think was a liner. |So another 4 were dropped in and another small indication but it seamed like another liner as the float just dipped and moved to one side. I stuck with this for 15 minutes but something didn`t seam right. So I put another section on and tried again. Didnt take long before a carp was landed on this line, about 4lb. Back out and a couple of minutes later another in the net.  Then I saw a tail in the right margin so I dropped an 8mm pellet on its nose and it obliged. a nice fish around 6lb. But it had a propper blast around the area I had caught from and when I went back out there it was void of fish. So it was time to try the end bank. Fired some pellets out and dropped in. There were tails waving at me pretty quick But getting them to take my pellet was a bit hard. These fish can be pretty tricky some days. I got 3 out but they weren`t big fish. I kept swapping around the lines but wasn`t putting anything in the net. After 3 hours I only had 6 or 7 for around 32lb. I heard Russ, on peg 5, say he had about 40 on his clicker. Steve "Leaf Blower" Seager on 17, had been catching quite well and Beany who had a flying start on peg  2 had slowed up and was loosing more than he was landing. Things went quiet for me for an hour and I struggled to connect to anything. Then I upped the feed along the end bank and down the margin and I started to see alot more activity. I also switched to 8mm pellet along the end bank and started to put a few in the net. I was also loosing loads. Seams to be a curse here foul hooking loads of fish. The last 90 minutes it picked up a lot and although I was loosing plenty I was landing a few. And down the margin line to my left they were big fish. Switching from the end bank to the left margin I recon I put 60lb in the net the last hour. At the all out I was thinking I had 120lb, Russ was admiting to 110lb and Steve said he clicked 141lb. Beany weighed first and put 84-1 on the scales. Russ was next and 128-3. Around the other side and Steve was pretty much bang on his estimate with 140-10 for the match win. Nice guess Steve. I was last to weigh and I thought it would be close for second with Russ. I`m happy to say I just pipped him with Russ 129-5 for second on the day, so the shinny quid was heading my way again. Its getting embarrassing now Russ😂. it fished pretty good today but the weather was cock on for a decent day. Good practice for the festival. A nice photo of Russ below and the full results.

1 comment:

  1. The reason for choice of 1or2 is some people don't have a long enough landing net handle or drop net to reach the water.or long enough keepnets

    ReplyDelete