Friday 1 January 2016

Cefn Mabley new years day open

I turned up this morning for a breakie hoping to see a load of sore heads and red eyes but everybody was bright eyed and smilling. Bugger, there's goes any advantage I was hoping for.
The draw was a bit of a farce as more than expected turned up so they had to figure out a way to make the match fair across two lakes. With Willow (I think it's called) expecting to take all the top weights it was split 9 on Willow and 30 on Match lake with some weird pay out planned.  Drawing 30 minutes late I pulled out 19 on Match. Meant nothing to me.
Three pole rigs today. A margin rig that never got used. A .4 Stuie special for 2+2 on the top of the shelf for meat. I know that sounds strange but the water was warm so I thought I'd gamble. And a .4 home made pencil for maggot at 11 meters hoping for skimmers and F1's. Also a bomb rod for a big chuck to the island on pellet. At the start I fed all lines then went across on the bomb. The tip went straight round and I fouled a carp for a few seconds before the hook pulled. Next chuck a big drop back and a miss . After that it was just liners. Everybody was getting them. I stuck with it for 40 minutes for no fish. Dropped in on the 11m line on double red and was into blippy roach. Stuck with that for a while but it was hard work. Back across on the bomb but it only produced one carp then more  liners. Very frustrating.
Tried the meat line for 20 minutes but not a touch. Back out to 11m and a got a skimmer and a decent F1. Nobody was catching so it was all still to play for. A switch to a size 20 and .10 brought immediate results. Better skimmers and two more F1's then the carp  moved in and I stayed on that until the end putting five in the net and loosing 7. A few foulers and a break off didn't help. The weights were low and I put 30lb dead on the scales for top wieght on our bank and a section with. Those lost carp cost me dear as the top wieght was only 47lb and guaranteed second in the wierd pay out. Oh well there's always next time.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogger. Good start make sure now you have started you keep it going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will for every match. Don't win as much as you do might not be as interesting lol. Did one for last Sunday too if your interested

    ReplyDelete