Sunday 10 January 2016

Mather Mill winter league round 1

A nice short 5 minute drive today to Mathern on what was a horrible day. After last night's monsoonal rain,  which was some of the heaviest I've witnessed I had no idea what to expect today. I got to the draw and could see the level was up above some of the concrete platforms so hell of a lot of cold water had gone in. Into the bag and out comes peg 5. Not one I realy fancied today as a draw at the deeper end of the lake was the favoured area. For company I had Mark Holden to my left on 6 and Gafyn Jones on 4. Seeing Steve Shaw on 2 with empty pegs either side didn't fill me with confidence. Three rigs today. A  .5 slim with a 16 to .13 to fish 6mm hard pellet over softened 4's at 11 meters. A  .3 slim for maggot or caster on an 18 to .11 for 5 meters at the bottom of the shelf. And a margin rig that never got used. Two bomb rods were set up for pellet to the island. At the start I chucked the bomb out, as you do here, to see what was over by the island. Straight away I was getting liners so there were carp there but none wanted to take the bait. Gafyn snagged one first chuck on bread on the bomb but then when quiet. Steve struggled for a while but did manage a couple. I had one after about an hour but with so many liners I was reluctant to come away from that line. Plus my hands were so cold all I wanted to do was keep them in my pockets. The weather got worse with a monster hail storm after 2 hours and the ice was still laying around after the all out. I stuck with the bomb for 2 1/2 hours taking 3 carp. Then my hands came back to life so I dropped in on the 11 meter line and had one after about a minute which I succeeded in loosing at the net. Gafyn had a few by this time and Steve was starting to catch on the bomb. Mark was being pestered buy small skimmers. Back in a into another carp which went the same way as the first. Bugger!!! Third drop in and out comes the elastic again. I managed to land that one. The I trashed my rig, so I dropped the bomb in on the pole line while I re rigged. The tip ripped around and before I could do anything it smashed my .15 hooklength off. After I put a new rig on I stuck on that line putting another 4 in the net before the all out. Steve wieghed in first and put 93lb 12oz on the scales. Gafyn put 7 carp and some silvers in the net for 64lb13oz. I had 8 carp that went 65lb 5oz. I new it was close but not that close lol. Neil Dibble was the winner on peg 10 with 134lb 12oz followed by Ron Gibbs on peg 11 for the 5th match in a row with 99lb 3oz. It fished rely well in the conditions. Round two in two weeks.

1st Neil Dibble 134lb 12oz
2nd Ron "I only fish peg 11" Gibbs 99lb 3oz.
3rd Steve Shaw 93lb 12oz
4th Me with 65lb 5oz

No comments:

Post a Comment