Saturday 2 January 2016

Landsend Saturday open

I was heading for Acorn today but turned up to find there was no match on this week so I set off down to Landsend for another crack at this place. Not done so good here in the past but I've not fished it much.
Into the draw and out pops peg 13 down at the far right hand corner. For company I had Rod  Wootten on 15 and Mark Walsh opposite on 11. Three rigs today. A .4 pencil to fish 2+1 and 9 meters on caster hoping for some perch and skimmers. A .4 slim to fish pellet at 14 meters by the airiator and a .2 mugger to fish several margin swims on pellet of corn.  All the float i used are from my own hand made range. At the start I fed all lines and dropped a caster on a 20 on the 2+1 line and was soon catching small perch and roach. After about 20 minutes some better perch arrived and a couple of 1lb plus fish hit the net. A look to my right and the water had coloured up so I dropped a piece of corn in but had no indications so I switched to the left and straight into a small carp. I re fed that line and back to the right and a 5 pounder was netted. That was it for those lines even though I tried sever more times. A look at the 14m margin line produced 1 small carp and a couple of perch but it was a long wait for bites. Back on the 2+1 line and another good perch followed by a 2lb beasty and a decent skimmer.  I stuck on that line for a while but it slowed right down. Mark was realy struggling after 2 hours and hadn't had a bite and Rod wasn't much better. From the friendly banter going on I could tell it was fishing hard. The middle of the match it died a death and swapping all lines produced nothing for a hour and a half. I decided of just fish for silvers for the rest of the day and take what I could. Rod hot a sweet spell and took about eight carp pretty quickly then his fish dried up. Mark only had 1 skimmer with about 90 minutes left. I had started feeding the 9m caster line a bit heavier trying to force a response and it did the trick. More perch arrived along with a couple of off season tench and a nice Ide before the carp moved in
I was going g to step the rig up for the carp but I did that yesterday at Cefn Mably and it cost me so as I hadn't been snapped off at all I decided to stick with the silvers rig and just take my time. Five good carp including a 12 ghosty were landed by the all out. At the end I thought I might have 45lb and be close to some coin. My silvers went 19lb 10oz, and my carp went 37lb 2oz for a 56lb 12oz total and a first on the day. Rod was second with 41lb 11oz. A nice day and not too much rain for a change. But the highlight of the day was watching Trigger slip onto his arse and end up sitting in a pile of mud. Me and Allan Oram didn't laugh....much!!

1st me 56lb 12oz
2nd Rod Wootten 41lb11oz
3rd Ken Rayner 41lb
4th Craig Trigger Edmonds 38lb 7oz

No comments:

Post a Comment