Sunday 24 April 2016

A day off from the comps

No comp today but as I never went yesterday a trip to my local water was in order. Put gear in the car and drove the 7 minute journey to Mathern Mill. The Sirhowy club had a comp on the match lake but it was full so I didn't bother trying  to book in. But when I got there I found out someone hadn't turned up but I was too late to join in. Ah well s--t happens. So I drove down to the bottom lake and parked myself on what would be peg 12, I think. It's at the end of the island with lots of open water to the right. I set up a bomb rod to fish 8 and 11mm pellet to the island, a .4 slim to fish 6mm pellet over softened 4's at 9 metres. And a .15 mugger to fish meat over groundbait in the left and right hand margins. Started off on the bomb but after 40 minutes I only had a few decent skimmers. So I went out on the 9 metre line and started to catch skimmers in the 8oz to 1lb bracket. Stuck on the for a while and had a couple of small (5lb) carp plus some realy nice bream to 4lb. Very surprised at the size of them. But after a couple of hours that line died. So I fed the margins and went out on the bomb for a bit. Had a couple more carp before I tried the inside line. Lost the first three of which two were right munters. One snapped  a .017 hook link and one straightened a size 14. When you consider there are quite a few lumps over 20lb in this lake I'm not surprised I got smashed up. I did get two lumps that would have gone close to 30lb between them. The rest of the day was spent swapping  from the margin rig to the bomb picking off fish. Even managed a chub of around 3lb. I ended up with about 15 carp for around 85lb and probably 20 plus pound of silvers. No keepnets so these are just guestimates. Enjoyed it even though it was a bit chilly at times in the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment