Monday 2 May 2016

Landsend Saturday open

After a week off last week it was the first of three comps this weekend. Only 7 fishing today so a bit disappointing. After noshing down a very nice breakfast I pulled peg one out. Of the 7 pegs in today it was the one I would have chosen last. Wrong end and wrong side of the lake from where most matches are won from lately. I didn't stay around after the match as I was suffering a bit. Got to the peg and was met by a fierce wind blowing right to left so fishing long was gonna be hard. But I started off on the meat line at 2+2 with a .4 slim and had a nice eight pounder after about ten minutes. Followed after another 20 minutes by a small ghosty. Then nothing so I tried along the end bank at the bottom of the shelf on pellet fished on a .15 slim with banded pellet. Had a small carp but bites were just not coming. The wind was making presentation very hard. Then I tried again the reeds across to the island with the same rig. Same problem, too much wind slapping the tip around. There were fish there as I could see them when I fired pellets across. Back to the end bank and I managed to snare a couple but also lost several in the snags. Lost a rig to so had to set up again. All the time I was drip feeding meat and a few 4mm pellets under the bush to my right for the last couple of hours. Watching the reeds getting a hiding across to the island I got another top kit out and set up a dinner to fish shallow. Had to stick it right into the reeds but I did get a couple out. So it was just a case of switching around trying to find fish. When the wind did die down a i got bites long. A few more small carp and F1's where netted. So then I thought it was around  3-30 so it was time to try under the bush. Dropped in with meat and had a carp straight away. Then a couple of perch and a good skimmer. But I started foul hooking carp including a couple of lumps that both took rigs. One under my platform and one that headed for peg 24's platform. Did get another out before my rig was trash. Then to my surprise after 30 minutes in the edge the all out was called. Got that wrong. I was an hour out on my guess of the time. I ended up with 12lb of silvers and 42lb of carp ( I think ). Rod Wooton next to me had a very good last hour taking a few lumps down the edge. He ended up with 85lb ish including 35lb of silver. Cheers Rod, that gave me the silvers pool by default. Top wieght was 104lb. At the other end of the lake. Back tomorrow for another go.

No comments:

Post a Comment