Sunday 16 April 2017

Landsend sunday open 16/4/17

Off to Landsend for what could be my last comp. Off to Australia next week so i wanted to do well in my last hoorah. 22 fishing today so it was set over Match and lake 3 and fished as two matches. After a really good breakfast, cooked by Do and served up by Olive, it was into the draw bucket. A bit strange as my ticket said 45/6, so I had a choice of which end of two islands I could fish. So i decided to sit on 46 with the islands gap to my right. Opposite was Fishery owner, Mike Ducket, and on my left but 3 pegs away was Rod Wooten. Joe McMahon was on my right but too far to see. The weather forecast wasn't looking good with strongs winds forecast. I set up four rigs today​. A shallow pellet rig for against the island. A long liner for mugging. A rig to fish meat at 2+2. I also mixed up a bit of paste and would use the same rig. Plus a margin rig to fish close to the bush to my left. Started on paste and had a 4 pounder first drop in. But only one other bite after 15 minute's so it was over too the island. Had two over there but not too many bites as presentation wasn't good in the wind. After 40 minutes i tried the mugging rig as the odd fish was showing. Gave that about 40 minutes but only had two, though one was a good 15lb. Switched around all lines for a while but the wind became so strong after 2 hours it wasn't worth the risk of fishing long, so the rest of the match was fished short. But saying  that fishing 2+2 just about became impossible, so i added a section and turned downwind about 45 degrees
Even then i had to use a foam padded spray bar to hold the pole still enough to stop the float being ripped around. Well that did the trick as i had a good run of quality fish for the rest of the match on meat. Also had about 6 to my left margin late. At the end i was hoping I had 130lb. Well I was close with my nets taking the scales round to 139-11 to win the lake. Tony Rixon, was second on our lake with 116-13 And Joe McMahon third with 81-10. It fished realy well, with some good weights. Leon Hubbard and Sean Townsend were going fish for fish on pegs 15 and 18, with Sean piping Leon by 143-14 to 141-13. Weigh sheets below. I gotta say since my return from my first stay in Australia I've been reaquainted with many old friends and made some fantastic new friends in the fishing community. I will miss this so much and would like to thank you all for making match fishing such a pleasure. The banter is unbeatable. Loved every minute of it. Farewell my friends and who knows I could be back to take your money again. Nothing is written in stone as far as the future goes. 

3 comments:

  1. bon voyage stu! you are a good moaner but have nothing on rich lovering!! all the best russ peck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheeky fecker lol. But don't get too comfortable winning down there 😋

      Delete
  2. haha have a safe journey mate!

    ReplyDelete