Tuesday 1 May 2018

Acorn Tuesday cost cutter

Nothing better to do today so off I went to Acorn for the regular Tuesday match. 13 fishing today so well spread out around the lake. I was early into the bucket and peg 3 sticks to my fingers. I didn`t mind that but with Martin Rayet on peg 5 , and him in top form it was gonna be hard to beat him.  4 rigs set up today. A .15 Shalla Slim for pellet across to the far side and along the grasses. A . 4 Slim for pellet at 2+3. A .3 SS margin for corn or maggot at top two length both sides, and next to platform 4. And a silvers rig for 2+1 in case it wasn`t going to plan with the carp. At the start all lines were fed and it was across to the far side to see if any carp were gonna play. The wind was pretty strong but at the start it was  off mainly off my back. But that changed later. It was slow and it took a while before I connected with one but it wasn`t in the mouth and it took me for a ride before the hook pulled. Next one was in the tail and that didn`t reach the net either. It was about 20 minutes before I landed one but it was pretty small at 8ozs. after the first hour I managed  three more slightly bigger, but mot much and the four went about 8lb. Martin had 3 that he thought went 17lb, So it was clear I had landed on the nursery.I came back in to the short pellet line and had a slightly better fish but it was a one off and no more bites after 15 minutes. The wind was getting worse and I was struggling to hold the pole long and the tow was starting to pick up along the far side and keeping a bait still was a struggle. Half way through and I was going nowhere fast so I thought i`d try my silvers lines for something to do. One line produced no bites. This was a surprise with the way the silver had been feeding lately. The other line produced a run of tiny perch, so that rig was sent packing up the bank for the rest of the match. A re think was needed. so I started feeding a bit heavier in the margins with groundbait and maggot and had a look there. But unlike Martin who was now slowly emptying it from the point of the island in his left margin , my margin did nothing. So I started a new line with my short pellet rig and just fed corn, burried the band best I could so I didnt need to change hooks and dropped it in. I did manage a few decent skimmers from there and lost a couple of foul hooked carp before it died. Back out on pellet across and managed a couple but the bites were slow. So back down the track for a couple more. Problem was a lot of my fish were small and with about 2 hours to go I had 10 carp and a few silvers  for about 35lb. the wind by now was bowing a bastard and my pole was being blown around to my left to often for comfort so I decided to stay in the margin and force the issue with the edge fish. But again it was slow. In an hour I put two in the net. but with 30 minutes left they turned up and I managed to get 7 out and some being better fish that probably added 35lb to my net. At the all out I was guessing on 70lb and I recond Martin has hit 150. I was close on both accounts. Mine went 71-12, and Martin had walked it with 149-7. John Barker won the Silvers with 22-11 from peg 9. Not a bad day apart from the usual shite weather. but we should be use to it by now this year. Results below.



No comments:

Post a Comment