Monday 7 May 2018

Windmill Sunday Open

Just a short drive today across the bridge to Windmill. No breakfast here 😪 so straight into the draw bucket box thingy. Not too impressed with my effort as i pulled 25 out. Glen "Two Pots" bailey had it last time I was here and he packed up early. With this being the deep end of the lake at anything between 8 and 10 foot its not the best place in the warmer weather. And it was warm today with the temps up to 25C. But to my surprise when I got there there were a few carp cruising around. so first rig set up was for slapping at 14 meters. a .75 Slim to fish at the 8 foot depth under the same line. Another .75 slim to fish for silvers at 2+3 length and a SS margin to fish in three feet of water along the margin. A bomb rod was also set up for the long chuck to the island but that never got used except a couple of times when I had to re rig, but never had a pull round so no more on that. I started on the slapper as there were fish still around at the all in but all I achieved was spooking anything I went near. But after 20 minutes I did snag one in the lip and landed it. Not big but it was a start. but that was it so after 45 minutes i tried the long margin line going 13 meters to my left with the slapping rig. that had short success with two quick fish but they soon shied away from anything shallow. so after an hour I had three in the net and at my end of the lake I was in front at that time. But it got harder to get bites. I swapped around lines but only managed another $ over the next couple of hors including a beast around 15lb that i mugged on my top 4. During this time I tried the silvers line and all I managed was to snap my number 4 clean in half for no apparent reason. Luckily I got the map margin pole and all the sections swap so I was able to carry on fishing the longer line but didnt trust the slapping with the heavier section on. After 2 oclock it just died a death and I had to wait over two hours for my next fish of any desciption and that was a small skimmer from my short margin line and then a carp on the all out whistle. Not a good day as I thought it would be at the draw, but slightly better than I expected. Pity I couldn`t keep a few going throughout. As expected the top weights came from the same area as last time with Sean Townsend winning again from peg 10 with 160lb. He caught mugging all day and from what I was told never fed anything. Weigh sheet below.

No comments:

Post a Comment