Saturday 26 May 2018

Mathern Mill friday open

A quick 5 minute drive to the venue for me to the fishery close to Chepstow. No breakfast here so it gets a zero on the brekkie meter. Only 8 turned up because of the weather forecast of all day rain so we had 2 on each bank, sort of. I asked if they could take the near bank off as its always a struggle to win from there as the main shoal of fish live at the bottom end of the lake and never move far. Plus I cant remember when I drew anywhere apart from peg 22 or peg 2. I get them every match. Ive even drawn two, got to the peg, got called back for a redraw and drew it again lol. So this time I was hoping for the other end. I was second into the draw bag. First guy draws peg 24. Phew, thats one gone. In I go and yep!!! peg two. I should put a bet on it. The lake has matured a lot and lots of reeds and island vegetation makes this place very picturesque, Three rigs today plus a bomb rod to fish the island but I wont go into too much detail as it fished crap and bites were at a premium. All I had was eight carp and one skimmer for 48-6. The carp all came from tight against the island on 8mm pellet on the bomb. And I landed everything I hooked from that line with only eight pull rounds. The margin was a dead loss with only one foul hooked carp that came off withing seconds. Apart from that I never saw another bite in the margin. So it was a very poor day and with 5 and a half hours of heavy rain it was miserable and I was glad when it was over. Top weight came as expected from the other end of the lake from peg 11. But he went over the disqualification weight in his net his weight was cut from 139-12 to 56-12 for nowhere. It pays to use a clicker. So default match win went to Jon Darby with 126-15 from peg 12. second was Norm Sterry with 95 -1 from peg 16 and third was Ashley ? on 22 with 84-5. Gonna try it again next week with a bit of luck. Lets hope for a change of view, maybe looking up at this end of the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment