Tuesday 23 July 2019

Acorn cost cutter

Had a few float to deliver at acorn  today so thought id have a go in the match. Not been here for ages and didn`t think many would be there with the weather threatening to be in the low 30`s. But I was surprised to see over 20 at the draw. Did my float business then into the draw bag. 31 sticks to my hand. Not the best peg but it did mean I`d be in the shade for most of the day so that was a bonus. Got to the peg and found the new aerator running and my peg was pushing through like the Severn across at the island.

Mark Walsh was two to my right and a quick quid bet was laid for fun. 4 rigs were assembled. A .15 Shalla Slim to fish pellet against the island. A .5 slim to fish pellet at 2+2 straight out. a .4 slim to fish for silver as a throw away line but it never got used. And a .3 SS margin to fish both side in the margin on corn or pellet. Tt the start I went across to the island and caught straight away.
But as I had to break down twice due to the close fence I lost it half way in. Ten minutes later and the same happened again breaking down half was in. I did manage to land 4 in the first 40 minutes but i was also getting bad foul hooking problems. With it towing so hard against the island and the wind blowing the opposite was I as dragging the float back and forth and dragging the hook into fish.  then the aerator went off and I lost the fish. couldn`t get a bite over so I started to switch around the lines but realy struggled to get any bites. In fact over the next 3 hours I only put a couple more in the net. And with 90 minutes left I think I only had 28lb on my clicker. So I had to settle for watching Lewis Walker catch non stop just about everywhere he dropped a rig in on peg 1. Id been feeding the margins in a couple of places each side and there had been very little signs of anything visiting the edges. I had tried it several time during the match and decided to just fish the rest of the day out in the edge. I came into my top kit range with 8mm pellet and Wham! the float buried straight away. A nice fish around 8lb. switched to the right side and fed the left. Missed bite, and  did the reverse. Did this switching sides for about an hour but lost too many. Guess it was more foul hookers. I eventually took around 6 fish doing this, then I noticed fish moving on the 2+2 edge line and dropped in there and it was hectic for the last half hour. I couldn`t get the rig in fast enough. The last hour I probably put 60lb in the net. Too little too late for me. I thought I had around 100lb but was a bit disappointed when it only went to 87lb. Sounds strange to say it was a struggle when you weigh 87lb but thats how it felt with the long dead spell in the middle of the match. at least I took a quid off of mark, well I would of if he had one on him. Welching Walshy lol. Lewis won it easily with 196-15. Eddy Wynn was second from peg 5 with145-13 of edge caught carp. Mike Chapman had top silvers with a fab weight of 34-6 from peg 5. A hot day for everybody and there was much talk of the pub at the results. a good idea but I had to get back across the bridge in rush hour. Full results below.

No comments:

Post a Comment