Saturday 13 July 2019

Landsend Saturday open 13/7/19

Turned up nice and early at the fishery today so had time for a walk round the lake with Steve "leaf blower" Seager before the draw. We were on lake 1, Specie lake today and fish were showing all around the lake but we both agreed the top end was the place to draw as the top bank is always consistent. 9 fishing today so lots of room. Not sure if thats a good or bad thing as big gaps can leave plenty of room for fish to back up into. The usual quid bet was layed with Russ Peck and  I gave the draw bucket a good shake, held it out for the draw and stuck my hand in about half way through, expecting to have peg 25. Its a peg I seam to draw hell of a lot when I fish this lake. I waited until all had been drawn before I took a look at my draw and was pleased to see peg 31 in my hand. A very good peg opposite the end of the island on the far side. Its pretty wide and it takes a full 16 1/2 metres to reach the brambles, that grow 1/2 metre out from the bank. but it has a wide shelf so it didnt matter I couldn`t get tight across. 3 rigs set up. A .5 slim to fish meat at 6 and 12 metres. A SS margin to fish pellet or corn to a couple of spots towards the pallet to my left. Didnt go to my right as I had Ray White to my right on 32 so I left that side for him. Though I was sure he`d fish for silvers all day I though that was fair. Also a .15 Shalla Slim to fish at about 18 inches deep as close to the island brambles as I could. At the start I fired some pellet across to the island and then fed the other lines. Within a few seconds carp tails were sticking up so I knew where id be starting. first drop in I hooked, a lump of a fish that took me all around the peg for a couple of minutes before spitting the hook. Next drop in and another that took me around the point of the island and snapping me off. Next drop in and I finally got one to the net. Unhooked it and when I was lifting my landing net head into the top of the keepnet it did a big flip and flew out the net back to freedom. Torettes!!!!!!... not a good start. I could hear Russ and Steve having a good laugh at my expence but it was kinda funny. To keep it shortish I basically stuck on this line all day as it was solid with fish. Id fire pellets across and I could see carp come out from under the brambles straight away every time. Even loosing a masive amount of fish from foul hookers and fish just pulling out didnt spook them and they never moved all day. I recon I must have lost 60 or 70 in total but I did enough to put a big weight together. I did try my edge a couple of times but didnt see any life there so didnt waste too much time on that line or the meat line that I tried twice just to give the far side a rest. Ray had a good run of skimmers at the start and put together the top silver weight of the day before the carp moved in and pushed them out. Russ had struggled all day for bites but did have a beast of over 16lb. Steve was the same but managed a few from his margin at the end. The only other person to get a few carp going was Dave Westcott on peg 40 on his now usual paste attack. I was guessing at 140lb for my 28 carp and was pretty close with 150-6. Should have been a lot more, but ya cant count them if you dont get them in. It was hard work fishing that length all day as I`m only a short arse and now my back is a bit sore, But at least there wasnt any wind and that was a massive help as last time I fished this peg I could barely hold the pole at 6 metres. Full results below.

No comments:

Post a Comment