Tuesday 2 July 2019

Landsend Saturday open, 30/6/19

A bit late doing this weeks blog. Back down to Somerset for the usual Saturday knock up. With the weather threatening very high temps it put a few off so only 7 turned up. We decided to all be on the far bank and get into the shade from peg 13 to 24, as most of us are old and can't deal with the sun for too long. Into the draw and I dipped into the bucket half way through the stampede. I opened my ticket up held it out without looking and asked if it was 24. I was greeted with a laugh as it was. But then I do seem to draw it every other match.
The usual quid side bet was put on with Mr peck, who had peg 17 (flyer).
I didn't use to like this peg as it was always a struggle but things have changed and there is a resident shoal of carp in there now. They may not be too big but there's plenty to be had.
Usual rigs set up. A .15 shalla slim rig for the right hand bank shallow on 6mm pellet. A SS Margin for the pallet to my left for various baits over groundbait. And a .5 Slim for open water at 13 and 7 metres with meat. I also set up a pellet wag as I'd seen a couple of cruisers at long distance past the tree. At the all in I fed my lines and went out on the short meat line but 15 minutes and no indication I went along the end bank at 13 metres to the small bay cut  into the bank. Thought I get some sort of indications but it was very quiet. 30 minutes of that and it was looking grim. In fact nobody had much at that time. So The long meat line was tried. All the time I had been pinging pellets out at 25 metres, but nothing had taken any interest. So that line was never used and abandoned. It was now 90 minutes into the match and still blanking. Back along the end bank and I got my first proper bite and one of the resident juniors was netted. Then an F1. At last things were looking up but it wasn't frantic. I stayed on this for about 2 hours and had about 30lb in the net before a look along the margin tried it several times but no bites at all. So it was shit or bust to get things moving and I upped the feed a lot along the end bank. This had the desired effect and better fish showed up. With 90 minutes left I had a good run putting about 10 slightly better fish in the net but the last 20 minute died a sudden death.
Dave Ings on 22 had struggled as had Mark Walsh on 21, but Beanie on 19 had a decent run of fish on paste fished across to the bottom of the far shelf. As for the rest I wasn't sure. I was guessing on 70 to 80lb. Ray White on 13 was first to weigh and had 39lb including top silvers of 10-11. Russ did his usual" I've got nothing" and put 62lb on the scales. Dave Beanie Westcott managed 14 carp for 75-2 bumped up with a 4oz roach. Wonder if that was on paste. I had around 20 of the smaller stamp, and with an F1 and a skimmer I just topped it with 75-8 for the win. Second time from that peg in recent weeks. Don't mind drawing it now lol. So it was back up the motor way after prising the quid from Russ's hand. Full results below.


No comments:

Post a Comment