Monday 22 July 2019

Windmill Sunday open.

Somewhere different for a change this week. Had a nice day out at Bourton On The water Saturday so went dangling on Sunday instead at Windmill fishery. Its a turn up and fish place so no need to book in. 11 fishing and well spread out around the lake. Into the draw bag and peg 1 sticks to my fingers. A decent peg thats at the deep end of the lake. A good 3 feet in the edge and 8/9 foot at 13 meters. the lakes changed a bit since my last visit with a lot of reed growth. I could only see one other angler from the peg and that was Dave Haines opposite on peg 23. three rigs were set up, A .3 SS margin to fish the edge to my right tight to the reeds. A .75 slim to fish meat at 11 1/2 metres straight out. And a .5 slim to fish soft pellet over micros in case I had to have a go at the silvers. Also a bomb rod for the chuck to the island that can be very productive. At the start I fed my lines and started on the bomb out at the island as I`d seen a few fish moving around out there. within 30 seconds the tip flew round and carp number one was in the net. Not a big fish at 3lb but a good start. 10 minutes later another of around 6lb was netted. then I started getting liners and less proper pull rounds. probably feeding a few pellets brought too many small fish onto the top of the ledge. The water had mudded up down my edge so I dropped in with a piece of corn and started getting liners straight away. After a few false bites a proper one a good lump took me around the reed bed and straight through some sort of snag. That was the end of that rig and elastic as it came back badly scagged up so that top kit was put away. out with another. and about 15 minutes later the same result. Lost rig in the same snag but I got the elastic back this time. then I had a couple in the net and after a little over an hour I had 5 fish in the net for around 20lb. it then went quiet so it was back across to the island for a couple more smaller size carp. More fish came into the edge and that`s were I stayed most of the day apart from a few tries on the other lines. The meat line only produced 2 skimmers and the silver line was biteless, but I had neglected the feeding on that line for the most part so I`m not surprised. A lot of fish were moving into the edge swim and I hooked plenty but got bashed up a few times through the reeds and snapped a few times in open water. think they were foul hooked decent fish that just kept heading for the horizon. I probably had a 50% fish hooked to landed rate, which is not unusual for me but at least im hooking enough to keep me in contention most matches. I was banking on over 100lb at the end but as for the rest of the lake I had no idea what went on apart from dave who`d had a few decent carp and plenty of silvers. i was first to weigh and put 113-14 on the scales. Steve Venn topped the weights with a hefty 160lb from peg 14 caught on nthe bomb to start with then a bulk of the catch taken down his margins. third was Chris Cotterill with 80-9 from peg 11. Dave Haines was top silvers with 12-8 in his total of 72-10. Off to Acorn Tuesday on the last day of my week off to drop a load of floats off. May as well fish the match while I`m there 😉. Full results below.

No comments:

Post a Comment