Sunday 8 December 2019

Landsend Winter league round 1

Very disappointing turn out this year with only 11 fishing round 1. This league usually attracts the high 20`s. So we were all on one lake. One section on each bank. The weather was threatening to be a bad one so a draw at the end of the lake the wind was coming from was favourable. Into the bucket and peg 8 comes out. I didnt mind that too much as the fish seem to have shoaled up that end and it was good for a bit of shelter from the wind. I was going to go for silvers to start with today and see how things went> and hope that the carp had a munch later. I started just short of the middle with soft pellet over micros to my right, and maggot over groundbait to my left, It wasn`t long before the odd blippy roach came to hand but it was going to be a struggle to get a weight with the size of them. Steve Seager on 15 opposit was into carp from the off and was catching steadily. But he wasn`t in my section so it didn`t matter. What was worrying was Lee Williams on 11 and John Hawkins on 5 were both catching carp and they were spanking my arse. 2 hours in and I was still in the starting blocks as all I had was a dozen roach and one small carp for about 4lb. Then I saw a big skimmer and an F1 come out to my left and my silver were annihilated, so a change of tactic was needed. I heard Lee say to Steve he had 48lb on his clicker and John was probably up near 25lb. I had tried the far side on top the shelf a couple of times but had nothing apart from loosing one on maggot, so I upped the feed a bit and it kicked it off. Over the next two hours I put 10 carp in the net. I did try down the middle on maggot to see if any were around but it was a no go. The left edge wasnt much cop either, and only two roach taken on 4 maggots showed an interest. The weather wasn`t as bad as they said but we did have one ten minute period where it got pretty violent with massive winds and hail stone, but when that was over we had blue skies again. The last 90 minutes was disappointing as the fish just disappeared. I only put two more in the net in that time. I was slowly clawing my way back up to then and I was hopping I might catch Lee up but he carried on getting the odd fish and just stayed to far ahead. At the end I was admitting to just over 60lb. and I was close as my 20 roach went 1-06, and my carp went 63-00 for a total of 64-06. At that point I was top on our bank but I knew Id been well beaten By Lee. He put 93-10 on the scale that won the section and Match. But at least I got the section money by default. Mr Seager was waffling on about how he only had 75lb, but we all knew he was talking from the wrong hole as he weighed 92-02 which won his section easily. Rob Watts on 13 got top silvers for the day with 5-06. It certainly is winter mode now on the bank and you have to work hard to get a few. The secret is to keep them coming which I failed at today miserably. Round Two in two weeks and we will be on lake 3. That could be interesting. Full results below.

No comments:

Post a Comment