Saturday 20 February 2016

Acorn winterleague

First of all, I just wish I could fish a match when it's not monsoonal backed up by a hurricane. Just about sick of all this wind and rain now. And drying out my gear, I'm over that!!!!! My house looks like a tip two days a week as all my gear stays in the house.
Whinge over and onto today. It was the last of the series and I'm only here to make up the numbers as I've had a poor series. Into the bag and out comes number 11. Not a peg I've fished before but it's a good spot for a few F1's. Got to the peg and as usual the wind and rain was howling  through and it looked as though long pole across was a no go'er. Three rigs today. A  .5 slim with an 18 to .013 to fish just about all areas in front as it was the same dept all over. But 2+2 was about all I would go today as I like my pole with all the section in one piece. Maggot to my left and pellet in front of me. A  .4 pencil with an 18 to .011 to fish 12 meters along the left bank inline with the edge of the trees on maggot hopefully for a few F1's. And a .2 mugger with a 16 to fish maggot at 6 and 9 meters along the left bank at the bottom of the first ledge. A bomb Rod was set up to use if the wind got too bad. At the start I cupped in on all lines and found one of my top kits blown off the roost and tangled in the grass. So out went the bomb on hair rigged bread punch while, while I sorted it. A missed pull round after a few minutes got me all excited lol. So I stuck with it for 15 minutes but had nothing. Out on the 2+2 pellet line for 20 minutes and battling to hold the float still resulted in no bites. Dropped down the peg on the maggot line and same result. Presentation was very hard in the howler.  Rod Wooton to my right had nothing at this time. The guy on 13 had one carp by now and I could see a couple on the island catching. Out to 12 meters to the trees on single red maggot, and after 10 minutes my first bite resulted in a small roach. Ten minutes later a better one but catching these was gonna get me nowhere. I stuck on this line for a while and managed a small F1 and a decent carp around 6lb but then bites dried up.  Switched to the margin lines where I had been drip feeding maggots for an hour and a half expecting to catch F1's but there was nothing there. I had to get off my box several times during this time to retrieve top kits, pole sections and even my rollers that were sent down wind on more than a few a occasions.  Back out on 2+2 for a while but still no bites on either line. It was looking like a tough day. I needed a warm up so while I had a cuppa I put maggot on the bomb rod out over the 12 meter line and had 2 F1's in quick succession, then nothing. Rod had a few small carp and one decent one  by now so I was behind him. I think I was behind everybody at this point. I had to put the pole rollers away as after the third time they got blown over i thought it was just too risky to have them around my pole and I just slid my pole along the grass after that. With two hours to go I went back on the margin lines and started catching a few. Three reds was doing the trick with about ten maggots potted in each drop. It was quite enjoyable after that taking some good F1's and two more carp to end a frustrating day. At the all out I thought Rod had beaten me as it looked like the carp he was catching were big fish. Neither me or rod followed the wiegh in, we just sheltered behind his van as we were both fed up with the wind beating we had taken all day. Rod wieghed first and put 41lb 8oz on the scales. Didn't think I'd match that but was surprised when my 3 carp went just over 17lb and my F1's went 30lb 15oz, which was top silvers for the day, for a total of 48lb 6oz. That got me second in section and a nice bit of coin for the day. After the wiegh in Andy Gard got a bit impatient and tried to reverse around a car on the boggy ground. BIG mistake. It took four of us over half an hour to move him. Plonker lol.

Results on the day can be seen on my Facebook page. Not sure of final placing but will try to get them and post them later.

No comments:

Post a Comment