Sunday 7 February 2016

Mathern Mill winter league. Round 3

After yesterday I was hoping to get up to a nice bright sunny day. Hahaha yeah right. Wind, rain, hail, we had it all today. This league is run on a wieght basis so no sections to go for so its an all out carp fest. Into the draw and out comes number 7 at the bottom end of the lake in one of the open bowls. With the wind coming in at a 2 o'clock angle the pole was gonna be hard work but I did set up a .5 slim for 13 meters on pellet, 6's over 4's, and a .3 slim to fish in front of the next platform for corn or pellet, 5 meters out, and it would also do for a 2+2 line for maggot. I did set up a margin rig but it never got used. Better to have it and not use it than need it and not have it. I also set up 2 bomb rods, which would be my main attack to fish hair rigged big punch, and 8mm pellet. For company I had Steve 'the bomb master' Shaw to my left on 10, a realy in form peg, and Ron 'I only draw peg 11' Gibbs on 11. I've heard he's going for a mortgage to buy that peg as he's draw it 6 of the last 8 matches. The other two he was on 10. At the start I started on an 8mm robin red pellet cast to the island. Within a minute the tip rips round and a 5 pounder finds its way into my net. Then it was just liners for the next hour. Even coming away from the island the liners persisted. Steve had 3 by now and Ron only had the one I think. A switch to double 10mm punch brought instant results with 2 good fish in a row, then it was back to a waiting game. After 3 hours I had 5 good fish in the net. Steve continued to catch and was about 6 fish ahead by now on the usual bomb and pellet approach. Ron was also starting to get a few. A look to my right and Giles Cochrane was also getting a few. After a bite less period I stuck the pole out but it was very hard to hold it still and bite presentation was hopeless. Stuck with that for 20 minutes with only one small skimmer for my efforts. Back on the bomb and I started casting around in the deeper water off the end of the island. The last hour and a half produced 5 more carp to double figures. Steve had slaughtered it on peg 10, and it was clear he had the win today. My 10 carp went 76lb 3oz which got me 4th on the day. Steve weighed next and had around 20 carp for 158lb 8oz. Ron had 84lb. Craig Challingsworth put 76lb 14oz in the net on peg 20. Overall it fished well today. Just wish I'd changed to the deeper water earlier. Ah well we live and learn.

Results.
Steve Shaw, 158lb 8oz.
2nd Ron Gibbs, 84lb.
3rd Craig Challingsworth, 76lb 14oz.
4th Me, 76ln 3oz.
5th Giles Cochrane, 71lb10oz.
6th Doug, 67lb 6oz.

No comments:

Post a Comment