Saturday 6 February 2016

Landsend saturday open.

Left home nice and early today to make sure I would be in time for a breakkie in the new onsite cafe and very nice it was too. Unlike the weather. It was blowing a hooli and persistently pouring down. Mike Duckett said it would be better after lunchtime and the wind would drop. Stick to running a fishery Mike cos your weather forecasting sucks lol. Possibly the worst wind I've ever fished in. Only 7 of us brave souls today and with all on the far bank of Match I drew out peg 15. Had it 3 weeks ago and did OK with a forth. Three rigs today. A .5 slim for caster and meat on 2+2 at 2 and 10 o'clock angles. A .5 slim for pellet at11 meters. That was as far as I wanted to go in the wind today. And a .6 margin slim in 4 feet of water to me left between the trees. I feed all swims at the all in and started on the meat line to my right. After 30 minutes without a touch a switch to caster to my left. Again 30 minutes with no bites. Scratch head time. Out to 11 meters on 6mm pellet over 4's. 15 minutes and not a touch. Things were looking bad. Shane Lovell on 13 had been catching silvers and a few small carp on meat. Adie Crawley on 17 had a decent carp early on the bomb but not much else at this time. Didn't see much else as I didn't want to stick my face out from my hood. Couldn't hear anything either as the howling wind and rain was deafening.
Back in on the caster line and eventually got my first bite and missed it. Then I managed to get a small perch in the net. Phew, blank avoided. After 2 hours and just one stripy I thought it was time to try the margin. Lowered it in and it buried. Carp number one on. Then it found the snag and it was off. Back in and five minutes later another one on. So I pulled a bit harder and pulled the hook. Bugger!. 20 minutes later number three, same result. Double bugger. Hmmmmm what to do. I changed top kits for a softer elastic and a begger hook. Three casters on a 14 and straight into a good carp which duly ended up in the net. I spent most of the rest of the match in the margin. But the snag and two fish lost under my keepnet kept the score low loosing to the12 out of 17 hooked. A good bream and perch were also added to my nets before the all out. Got to admit I was glad when the end came. The weather just got worse and worse. I was second to wiegh and put 6lb odd of silvers and 5 carp for 32lb for a total of 38lb 10oz and first on the day. Felt sorry for Shane next to me. He had to strip off and go for a swim after the wind picked up his 4and 5 section and dumped it in the lake. Then when he was in the water some of his cloths blew in. Not his day was it. He did get his sections back though.

Final result.
Me 38lb 10oz.
2nd. Mike Duckett 30lb 8oz
3rd Shane Lovell 28lb 1oz

No comments:

Post a Comment