Sunday 5 January 2020

Mathern Mill saturday open.


A quick 5 minute drive tody to Mathern. 20 fishing so it was run as 2 matches over the two lakes. I didnt mind where I drew on either lake as long as I avoided pegs 24 or 25 on the motorway lake. it seams its all I draw there and a different view would be nice. So I dive into the draw bag first. Peg 25 on the motorway lake comes out. Well theres a surprise. I should put money on it. Last time I fished it, it was a silvers match and caught nothing but carp so I was hoping today was gonna be the same. it was just gonna be a maggot day today, after an enitial go on bomb and pellet to the island. Half hour on that and no pull rounds but I did get a couple of liners so i was hopefull id get some later. Out to the airator which is suspended from a rope that is only 2 meters to my left, that makes it a very narrow peg. but that was biteless as well. so I went to 13 meters to the sunken weed bed to my right. that was after a word with the guy to my right that though it was ok to cast his bomb 40 meters to where I was feeding a spot to fish 13 meters to. It took about 15 minutes to get a bite but when I did I knew id hooked one of the lakes big boys. In 5 I barely got it off the bottom and was seeing tail paterns in 6 feet of water. I did get it close in but my elastic was bottomed out and with a shake of its head it snapped me off. Next drop in and I had a big skimmer close to 3lb. I was off the mark after 90 minute. To my left Rob jones was also struggling on the pole and had 1 carp at that time and a few tiny silvers. My line went quiet so it was back to the airator where I did take one carp and another skimmer. Rob took a couple more carp. But it went quiet again for him. I went back to my right and hooked another carp, I think Frankie Dettori was on his back, and I struggled to get it in the net. Two carp for a good 25lb. the pattern continued with another skimmer then nothing. Very strange. this happened 5 times during the match. It was like they were buddying up. And that was all I had. Rob next to me hit the jackpot, as he switched to punch bread fished mid depth on the wag, of which I had neither of to follow him, and cleaned up big time the last two and half hours he couldnt go wrong and I recon he put 150lb in the net in that time and he finished with 207lb for an easy win. Well and truely spanked off the next peg. I finished with 5 carp and five skimmers for 66lb. Norm sterry was second on our lake with 140lb plus. Top lake was won with 99-01. full results below.


.Image may contain: Stuart Barnett, smiling, outdoor and nature

No comments:

Post a Comment