Saturday 7 May 2016

Acorn Saturday open

After a phone call from Craig Challingworth last night we decided to give Acorn a go today so it was  30 drive to the land of the Holy and with the weather looking good I was hoping for a good draw. Got there in time for a breakfast only to find for the second time in a week the kitchen wasn't open. Bugger again. No food on me so it was either eat pellets or diet for the day. The later won out. 9 fishing today and with two late arrivals pegs 34 and 31 were put in. I did well off 34 last Monday so drawing it again would be nice. Well bugger me I pulled it out again. Smug look on face. Got to the peg and there were fish everywhere. Slurping and cruising. Across by the bridge the water was already coloured up. Could be good. For company i had Steve Sewell on 31, and could see Mick Walsh over on18. The only other angler i could see, as the rest were behind me, was Craig down at the end of the island on 9. Three rigs today. A .15 slim to fish pellet over against the grassy bank by the bridge in 15 inches of water, and also about ten metres to the left by the stick ups. This rig would also do to fish the margin just around the corner to my left.  A .4 slim to fish pellet at 2+1 straight in front. And a .15 mugger to fish 2 1/2 feet of water in the margin to my right with corn over maggot. At the start I feed both margins and threw a few pellets to my short line. I went over to the far side with a kinder pot of 4mm's and  a 6mm on the band. And started catching almost immediately. To cut things short I spent most of the first three hours across on the long lines getting a fish, feeding then moving to the other long line. I had about 25 fish by then but alot were so the smaller veriety. Things slowed up then so it was a look on the 2+1, line with 6mm pellet again, and had a better fish first drop. Had a couple more there before trying the right margin, but it was just small carp of about a pound or small F1's there and I had to wait for bites. I did try that line a few times but it wasn't very productive. Craig was struggling down on 9, and Steve Sewell was catching but they were small fish including alot of the stickies that were recently put in. But Mick had been catching regularly and I thought we were very close.  Look in the left margin ,again on the trusty 6mm pellet and the float buried straight away and a nice 7lb carp was netted. And next drop another of the smaller stamp. Then ten minute with nothing so it was back on the 2+1. The last two hours it was a case of switching lines from 2+1 to the left margin picking off fish. With the average size getting better I was slowly building a good wieght. With 45 minutes to go I had to borrow another net. Kiss of death for 20 minutes then it went mad in the margin and I couldn't get my rig in quick enough. The last 15 minutes producing 6 carp. At the end I had about 50 carp and a few F1's and thought I had about 150lb. The scales came around and my borrowed net went 40lb which was pretty good for 25 minutes work. Then my second net went 73lb, put back to 70 because I went over the limit. The other two nets including silvers took my total to 174 - 8 and the win. Steve put 62lb on the scales and Mick opposite had a good net of 153 - 5 caught mainly in the margin. Glad he slowed up at the end lol. Craig had 88 - 11 which were mainly caught in the second half from the margins. Can you see the pattern here? Degsy Williams on peg 7 put 116 - 3 on the scales. Got to say the weather has alot to do with the way it fished today with the warmer temps turning the fish on the feed. Overall it fish realy good. Might have to give it a go again next week. Hope the bloody kitchen will be open. Off to Windmill tomorrow, a place I realy don't like, but Craig talked me into it.
1st me 174-8
2nd Mick Walsh 153-5
3rd Degsy Williams 116-3
4th Craig Challingworth 88-11

No comments:

Post a Comment