Sunday 22 May 2016

Windmill Sunday open.

After not bothering to go yesterday, and I recon I made the right choice as it was horid outside, I thought I'd give Windmill another go. 20 fishing today so a decent turn out. Into the box and peg 23 finds itself stuck in hand. It's a peg where you can reach the island at 16 metres and seeing I was giving my new  Map 901 pole a run out for the first time I was quite happy with the draw. Had a few comments about how it would explode on a decent fish but after a play with it, it feels pretty strong. For company I had my old work colleague John Clark to my right on 22 and Kevin Jeffries on 24. Bob bread Price was on 25 and I could just make out Welshie Neil Morgan on 27. A few fish were showing tight over so a .15 slim was set up to fish pellet in 15 inches of water. A .2 slim was set up to fish meat or corn down the margins and a .75 slim to fish pellet or corn over pellet in 8 feet at 2+2. Glad I went for a heavier float as it was towing hard. I also set up a bomb rod incase the wind got up, which was surprisingly missing. Happy days. At the start I feed my closer lines then went straight over at 16 metres with a cad pot of 4mm's and a banded 6mm. A whole five seconds went by and the float disappeared. Time to see what the pole could do. Always nervous trying a pole for the first time so I didn't give it to much, and seeing as I was a fouler I just slowly played it in. First fish in the net at around 4lb. Happy boy now lol. Next drop in same result but this time it came off. Ten minute's later a better fish found its way to the net, but then it went quiet. John had one by now but Kevin, who couldn't get close enough to the island was fishless. I stuck with this line as there was the odd fish showing but they just weren't having it. But the lake was very quite. Two hours in and I'd only had four and bites were a premium. John had a couple more fishing corn over to the island. Kevin had a couple fishing short of the island and a few silvers. Then I went Two hours with nothing but two missed bites. I'd tried the closer lines but there was just nothing happening, and it seemed the same for everyone. With two hours to go I dropped back in on the 2+2 line and had two in quick succession on banded corn. The margins were tried but even though there were fish knocking the stick ups they wouldn't look at the bait. I chucked the bomb over to the island with an 11mm pellet on as the wind had got up and managed one after about 15 minutes, but that was the only bite. So it was back on the 2+2 were I stayed for most of the last hour taking just one more. At the end I had my only silver of the day, a decent skimmer last drop in. I guessed I had 35lb and was very close as I put 34-12 on the scales for fourth on the day. John had a tough day and managed 26-5. All in all it fished hard with top weight only in the mid 60's, with a few dnw. As they say ....must try harder.

Luke Pester 65-07-0 peg 11
Martin Rayett 50-12-0 peg 20
Neil Morgan 44-07-0 peg 27
Stuart Barnett 34-12-0 peg 23
Jon Clark 26-05-0 peg 22
Geoff Francis 22-02 0 peg 10

Top Silvers:

Dave Willmott 14-10-0 peg 8
Mike Nicholls 14-08-0 peg 1
.

No comments:

Post a Comment