Monday 30 May 2016

Bank holiday Landsend open

Landsend fishery was today's location for another of Tony Rixon's well run knock ups. Arrived nice and early so had plenty of time for one of the scrummy breakfasts. A good turnout with 19 fishing, spread across match and top lakes and I pulled peg 3 from the bucket. A decent peg with the island easily reachable at 13 metres. Got to the peg and was greeted with the sound of carp crashing around everywhere, spawning like crazy. But strangely it was very quite in my peg. Wasn't too displeased with that. Personally I've not seen them like this before. Quite a sight. Set up four rigs today. A shallow rig for slapping and mugging. A .15 slim to fish banded pellet across in 18 inches of water. A .2 margin mugger to fish meat or corn both sides, and a .3 slim to fish meat down the middle. For company I had Alan Oram on peg 1, Russ Peck on 5. And through the trees on the island I could just make out where Rod Wooton and Craig Trigger Edmonds were opposit on 19 and 21. I could also just see Tony Rixon's pole sticking out to the island on peg 11. A nice draw with 3 empty pegs to his left, draw bag!!!. At the start I put in a big pot of 8mm meat at 9 metres and some corn and meat down the margins, and pinged some pellets to the island. Out to 9 metres to start on meat and had my first carp after 5 minutes. Then I lost two in two drops and that line went quite. Stuck with it for another half an hour but never had another bite. Tony was catching a fish a bung shallow to the island from what I could tell, and Trigger and Anton Page on 7 were also catching shallow. I went out to the island and had one first drop. Followed quickly by another decent fish. Russ was flicking a long line shallow and was hooking and loosing a few. Alan seemed to be struggling for anything. I tried shallow tight over but the reeds had been flattened my the amorous goings on by the carp and I couldn't get close enough. I did get a carp, F1 and a tench but it wasn't realy working. So it was back on the depth rig were I picked up the odd fish. This is were I made a big mistake. I was watching people catching shallow or at depth across to the island and I kept on it too long when it wasn't realy working for me. It slowed up and I spent too long waiting for something to happen. After a quite middle two hours a swiche'd back to the meat line and caught straight away. Should have done this earlier. Hindsight is a great thing. I stuck to this line for most of the last two hours with the odd look across where I did get a couple more and one lump from my margin and also mugged a couple. I ended up with about 18 carp and guessed about 100lb. Alan wieghed first and after a good last couple of hours fishing shallowon pellet and meat close in he put 104-12 on the scales. Mine went 110-13 and Russ wieghed 90-08. Anton was next with 190-08, and then it was the turn of the Bristol bagger Tony Rixon who had 5 nets in and put 294lb on the scales for a win by over 100lb. Well done mate!!. It fished it's nuts off with more than half the anglers hitting the ton mark.

1st Tony Rixon 294lb
2nd Craig Edmonds 196-14
3rd Anton Page 190-08

No comments:

Post a Comment