Sunday 8 May 2016

Windmill fishery Sunday Open

Got talked into going here today By Craig Challingsworth. Said I'd never come here again as I had been let down on two matches that were advertised yet cancelled. Two weeks in a row. But what the hell, it's a match. 21 fishing today so a pretty good turn out. And the added bonus was the weather was gonna be very good. When I left it was still 25C. Into the draw bag and out comes number eight. Not been here for at least 12 months so I had no idea where it was or what to expect. It was down the far bank in front the second island, so fishing tight over was a no goer as its about 25/30 metres wide. The wind was its usual pain in the ass blowing left to right but at the start it was manageable. Craig was on 6 and my old mate Darren Ninxy North was on 11 to my left. Mike Nicholls was on 4 I think but I guess he would be ronny bashing I guess. Three rigs were set up. A .5 slim to fish banded pellet at 9 metres. A .3 slim to fish maggot at 2+1 range in case nothing was happening and I went for bits. But this rig wasn't used so no more on that. And a .15 slim to fish the margins either side on corn or pellet. A bomb rod was set up for the chuck to the island which I thought would be my best attack. Fed my lines at the start and by the time I pick my bomb rod up to chuck it out Craig was already landing one taken in 6 inches of water tight to the island at 16 metres. Well to say it went badly to start with is an understatement. Craig continued to catch and the guy Between us also had a couple but me and the three anglers to my left were struggling. Only a couple of liners got me twitching but it was about 90 minutes in before my tip went round and the first carp was netted. But that was it for now so I came in on the 9 metre line and straight away the float buried but I missed it. Dropped it back in and it went again but this time I put a nice  6 lb  fish in the net. False dawn as the wind suddenly changed around and blew a hooly between the islands at a rate of knots. Made it almost impossible to hold the pole still and that line never produced another bite. Craig,  meanwhile, was sheltered by the island and carried on fishing 16 metres shallow no problem and kept catching. A try in the margins for a while never produced a bite so it was back to the island on the bomb, but I changed up to an 11mm pellet and that seamed to do the trick. I stayed on that line mostly, trying the other lines occasionally, for most of the second half. At the all out I thought I might be around 60lb. Bella Bakos was top wieght on the far bank with 75lb. Didn't get a photo of the wiegh sheet so I'm a bit vague of the exact weights. Darren had 45lb that was mostly caught in the last 90 minutes down the edge. My net went 68-10 which was good enough for third on the day, one out the money. The guy next to me had 68-3, so that was very close. Craig put 95lb on the scales and claimed top spot on the day. Well done mucker. All in all it was ok today and the weather was fab so no complaints about that.

1st Craig Challingsworth 95lb
2nd Bella Bakos 75lb
3rd me with 68-10

Top silvers went to the old gladiator Mike Nicholls with 17lb.

No comments:

Post a Comment