Sunday 8 January 2017

Landsend sunday Open 8/01/17

After a horrendous run lately I was heading out with no confidence at all. After another of Di's excellent breakfast I was last but one to draw. I managed to pick 58 on the top lake (number 3 lake) which everybody said is a good draw. Well if someone could stuff it up it's me lately. . For company I had Steve Seager to my left on 60 and Adrian Jeffrey across the other side of the island on 53, so banter would be good, mainly aimed at Steve. Only two rigs required today. It was almost one rig covers all as there was only  4 inches difference all over the peg. A .1 Shalla slim to fish tight to the island in 2 1/2 feet with banded 6 mm pellet. And a .2 slim to fish everywhere else. Settled on a caster line and meat line at 7 metres at angles from straight in front. Plus a meat line to the right margin at 10 metres and  corn line in the left margin. That never produced a bite so no more on the corn line. At the start I went across to the island. It wasn't long before my first fish was in the net. Only small at 2 1/2 lb but it was a decent start. That was quickly followed by a 5 pounder ten minutes later. Happy days. Adrian had already started to catch across to the island and Steve was bringing out every excuse as to why he wasn't catching. Nothing unusual there then. But for me that was it for ages. I stayed long for 40 minutes but just one more missed bite was all I had. I came short on the caster line and hit a good skimmer first drop in but lost it. 15 minute's and no more action. So it was on the meat line. Good skimmer first drop, then nothing for ages. Hmmm not going to plan. So after about 2 hours it was on the margin meat line. I had a couple there but they were pastie size. After 2 1/12 hours I had about 11lb. Not happy!!. Adrian was still catching regularly. Steve had a couple and proceeded to give detailed explanations about every move he made. Still nothing new there lol. Kevin opposite had overtaken me with two good carp and a few silvers but had lost two or three which slowed his catch rate. Second half I decided that I'd try and force the issue and upped the feed quite a bit. That had the desired effect. But it wasn't hectic as it was a fish or missed bite then change rigs or lines and let the fish return. The island was by far the most productive. At the end I had 13 carp and one skimmer for what I thought was 45  - 50lb. As I thought Adrian had top weight on our lake and the match with 88lb I think. He caught tight to the island and the only bait that went in his peg was on his hook. , Three white maggots. He never feed once all day. Tight arse!!!!. In fact he was unhappy that he occasionaly had to change his hook bait. I didn't get a photo of the sheet so I'm going by memory. I'll amend it if I'm too far out. Kevin Molten opposite ended up with 42lb for third over all. I was close with my guess with 47lb which got me second. Fourth on the day was match organiser Tony Rixon with 38lb from peg 15 on Match lake. He also had top silvers with 16lb.

No comments:

Post a Comment