Sunday 29 January 2017

Windmill sunday open 29/1/17

Not been here yet this year and as the weather was looking horrid I left it untill I got up before deciding I was gonna bother. First time here under the new regime. Glad to see the place might be in good hands. They are open to suggestions and mine was to shoot all the friggin ducks. You cant fish to the island anymore as its just a duck smorgasbord when you feed. The match here Thursday was a grueller so I was hoping today would be better as it has warmed up a little bit. Into the wooden box and number 1 comes out. Not a bad draw as its in the deeper water. There was around a dozen fishing and I really didn't fancy a draw in the shallow end. For company I had Jerry Welsh to my left on 3, Dave Wilmot the other side of the bowl on 28. And Scott C, sorry didn't know his last name but he was a northerner on the golden peg so all guns were aimed at him not getting it lol.Three rigs and a bomb rod today. A rig to fish in four feet as close to the margin as the out of control reeds allow. A silvers rig to fish caster over groundbait at 2+1 length. And a meat rig to fish at 13m in the deepest part of the peg. At the start I went straight to the island on 8mm pellet on the bomb, but as soon as the first pellets hit the water all hell broke out as the ducks homed in on it and it was like a diving comp to see which would vacuum up the most. f-----g things. so after 20 minutes of that I came in on the silvers line. At this point Dave had already had a good skimmer plus a carp, and Scott had two as well. 15 minutes and bite less I decided to go on the meat line. Well that was a good move. Straight into fish. A bit small but I was catching. To keep it reasonably short I stayed on that most of the day. Dave and Scott were keeping ahead of me in the fish count for the first half of the match but I was close. Then the wind got too much and I tried the bomb on the pole line with haired meat and took 4 in 30 minutes. It just happened that the bigger fish had moved in and they had doubled in size. Dave slowed right up at this point when he was probably ahead. Scott continued to catch but a lot of his fish were small. I went back on the pole with 90 minutes left as the wind abated and I continued to catch well up to the end with some big fish. at the all out I was sure id be near 100lb. I was first to weigh and my 22 carp went 101-08, and that got me the win for today. Scott had out caught me but he was stuck with mostly smaller fish and got second with 76-10. Dave`s fish dried up with an hour to go but managed third today with 61-01, including top silvers with 8-09. A few realy struggled with a couple of blanks so it was all down to the draw really. Below is the weigh sheet plus a couple of pictures showing how the pools pay outs will be from now on. But as its new management they will see how things go and if changes are required they will be, but I'm sure the anglers will be happy with how it will be done. The new guys look like they know what they are doing. Sorry, but photos are a bit dodgy but you can make it out.












No comments:

Post a Comment