Saturday 11 March 2017

Landsend saturday open 11/3/17

first of two days this weekend here today. Today is the usual open and tomorrow is round 5 of the winter league. After a very nice breakfast  it was into the draw bucket and out pops number 5. The narrowest peg on the lake at 13 meters, at the far end of the first island. For company I had Russ Peck to my right on 7. Mark Walsh on 1 and Mike Ducket opposite on 19. I could also here Rod Wootten on 21 so entertainment was guaranteed if he didn't nod off. Three rigs today. A .1 shalla slim to fish 6mm pellet against the island. A .2 slim to fish pellet in the gap between the islands at 15 meters. And another .2 slim to fish meat down the track. it would also do to fish my left margin close to pallet 4. There were a few fish showing so at the start i went across without feeding. But nothing was doing. The fish just moved off straight away and drifted down between pallet 2 and 3. There were loads of them cruising around down there but they never moved. After 30 minutes and no bites i came in to the meat line but again nothing happened. In fact it was very slow for everybody with nobody my side of the lake with anything after 45 minutes. A go between the islands produced the same result. So after 1 hour 15 minutes it was looking bad. A go in the margin got me nowhere also. Russ had a good skimmer at this time for his troubles. Rod had caught a couple but i wasnt sure what they were. Mike had caught but also lost a lumper in the tree to his left. Another go across to the island finally got me a fish. But it was only a small skimmer. Then i got an Ide on the meat line. Russ by now had netted his first carp and mike was on about 4. Then my first carp was netted from my left margin but that was the only fish from there all day. I then lost a couple over by the island, probably foulers cruising by. Into the third hour and the frustration really started. I was hooking carp and loosing all of them. 8 of the first 9 slipped the hook or broke me in snags. Torrettes was in full flow by now. So i went out off the end of the island and started catching F1`s a couple of inches off the bottom on pellet. Some were decent size so i thought Id stick at that. Then it went quiet for before the carp finally moved in. The last two hours was spent dropping in on several spots along the island were I took another 9 carp without loosing any. At the end it was clear Mike had won as he caught very well fishing shallow between the island without needing to feed. I thought I had just over 60lb. My silver went 12-12, and my carp went 43-8 for a total of 56-4, which got me second on the day. Russ managed 35-4. Mike, as expected won with 88-10. Rod took top silvers with a lovely bag of skimmers that went 26-4. it was a tough day to start with but most started to get a few in the late stages. Back here tomorrow on Speci. So let hope the weather holds out and the fish go on the munch.

No comments:

Post a Comment