Sunday 5 March 2017

Windmill carp lake experiment

After a nightmare game at BCFC yesterday I was glad to get away from all that crap with a day on the bank. So Windmill it was. Got to the carpark and there were only 4 of us that turned up. This fishery has a reputation of being a bit windy at times so I expect the weather forecast put alot off. But!! As it was a bit nasty and such a low number two decided not to bother and left. Soft cocks lol. So after a chat with Brian Shanks and the fishery guys we decided to fish the carp lake as it has places that were a bit sheltered. Plus they wanted to know exactly what was there to catch. I didn't mind. These guys are doing a great job and working bloody hard to turn this fishery around from the shambles it was. The carp lake will soon be the new match lake and there is alot of work going on getting pegs dug out and ready for the coming summer. Brian and myself headed off to the bay at the top end of they lake where the wind was off our back. Not long after Martin McMahon turned up and sat down with the gale force winds battering him in the face. Hard as nails he is lol. After being told there are alot of small carp I decided on a groundbait and maggot approach. Not sure what Martin did. Brian only had meat and 4mm pellet so that was his approach. I set two rigs up. One to fish 2+2 in 3 1/2 feet over maggot. And another to fish at 9m with maggot over groundbait. Funnily it was 6 inches shallower at the longer length. Brian caught short on pellet before I had put a rig on. A small carp around a  pound. Nice start. I caught after about 15 minute's short. But even trying several times it was the only bite I had there. So it was out on the longer line. I had a bit of success taking 4 fish to around 3lb on that line. Martin was struggling with the horrific wind bless him lol. Brian carried catching steadily. I struggled for any bites for a while. Brian stopped catching so went to around 11m and started again on meat over pellet. So not to be outdone I did the same. Potting in 4mm pellet. It wasn't long before I picked up a couple but bites were a long time coming. Then the wind change direction a bit and presentation in front was really suffering. So I turned 45 degrees to my left and fed 4mm again. Good move. I could sort of hold the float still and i started catching. But it was a bit of a struggle landing them. When ya got a silvers rig on to catch pasty size carp and then you start hooking fish up to near 20lb, then it got a little difficult lol. The biggest I landed went 15-8. I had another double but lost 3 more huge things including one I had at the net before it broke me that I guessed at near 20lb. It was quite a bit bigger than the one I had in the net. At the end the fishery guys brought scales over and mine went just over 50lb. I was pretty happy as conditions for most of the day were terrible. Brian lost his fish and struggled for the last 2 hours but had over 20lb of small carp. Martin had one good double and a few pasties. Give him his due, he worked really hard in that wind to catch. So the conclusion is there are loads of carp to catch. How you go about it could be tricky when your catching small stuff and a huge lump comes along. Tackle choice could be Interesting. Next Sunday's match is gonna be on that lake so if you fancy a few fish it could be worth a go. I'm at Landsend so can't make it. But the fishery is now in good hands and I recon it's gonna be a great venue when they have finished with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment