Saturday 4 June 2016

Acorn saturday open

A short drive to Acorn fishery today. Was hoping  for a good turnout as they are pushing the Saturday opens and were tempting people with a match free of peg fee so all the coin went into the pot. After a nice brekkie it was into the Drawbag and ping pong ball 22 sticks to my puddy. Nice bridge peg and it turned out to be end peg on the road bank .... Cushty!!!!!. Got to the peg and looking along to the top end of the lake there were carp topping everywhere. I hoped I could pull some down to me. Four rigs today. A slapper to try to get the cruisers on banded 8mm pellet. A .15 margin mugger to fish my left margin on pellet or corn. A .2 slim to fish the far side tight to the grass. And a .4 slim to fish 2+1 on 6mm pellet. I was hoping this would be my main banker line. At the start I threw a few pellets onto my short line then went across to the far side. First drop in and a fish straight away, then it snagged me and pulling it I trashed the rig. Good start... not. Rig sorted and out again. Float slides away and the first carp safely landed. Followed quickly by another. Then a couple of foulers before the next fish but foulers spooked them a bit. Sean Clayton on 22 was just getting tiny stockies on corn at this point. I had alot of trouble with floating grass, from a recent bankside trim, getting in the way and at times was struggling to get the float to settle so I switched along to another gap about 7 metres to the left and started catching a few there. The little stockies were being a nuisance messing with the 6 mm pellet so I went to an 8mm. After about 2 hours I had ten or so carp in the net. All the time I was drip feeding pellets ever few minutes on the short line. Then I decided to cup in a some pellets and corn in the margin and there were fish on it instantly. Had a couple of good fish there in 30 minutes but they were a bit spooked as it was only 10 inches deep. So it was time to try the short line as it was now fizzing. And caught first drop. Had three there then saw some cruisers to the left over the far side. So it was another section added and over at 14 metres. Had two but they were being fussy. Nudging the pellet then turning away. Didn't stick with that for too long as I thought the short line was the way to go. So I stuck to that for most of the time we had left taking about another 15 fish. Had a couple late down the edge too. Even thought it seemed to be solid on the 2+1 line I don't think they were having it properly as I was getting loads of indications but missing loads of bites. And half of what I landed was foul hooked. But they all count. From what I could hear it wasn't fishing too well across the other side and was told I had it won. But I never count my chickens too early. I thought I might have somewhere around 150lb. I was first to wiegh and put 134-6 on the scales which did turn out to be top on the day. Happy with that and that's two on the trot at Acorn for me. Happy day's especially as it was a very good pay out today. More new tackle coming my way lol. Top silvers today was Bob Gullick with 11lb which was fun as Des Shipp missed out by ounces and moaned like hell as Bob's silver were F1's. Might go to Hillview tomorrow. See how I feel in the morning.

1st Me 134-6
2nd Dom Sullivan 116-4
3rd Steve Howell 83-4

Silvers Bob Gullick 11lb

No comments:

Post a Comment