Saturday 11 June 2016

Acorn Saturday open

After last week where the match was run with no peg fees to try and up the interest in the opens I was hoping a few would turn up today. But no. Just 4 turned up. Shame on people who just turn up cos they think there will be loads of pools money to be paid out. But again this week  we weren't charged peg fees. Fair play on the fishery owners. Wouldn't happen anywhere else. Whinge over.
After a very nice brekkie we decided to just stick in the pegs that have been fishing well lately. So 6, 9, 22 and 34 were put in. Ping pong ball 6 came out in my hand and I was pretty happy cos there were plenty of fish showing at the end of the islands. The water had been topped up and it was up by at least 6 inches on last week. Four rigs, as usual for me. A slapper, as there were a few slurping at the scummy surface. A .15 shalla slim for tight across in two foot of water. A.4 slim to fish 2+one and a half to fish pellet to a feature in this peg that not many know about,  but is a food holding spot. Always caught on this line on peg 6. And a .3 margin diamond to fish the margins were there was now plenty of depth. Started the match fishing 6mm banded over 6's across. Took me about ten minutes to get my first fish on. But not for long as it pulled out somewhere past peg 8 lol. Then two more were on and off quickly, GRRRR!!!. 4th try and one finds the net. Then 3 more lost. So after 45 minutes I was suffering from severe tourettes. Then I finally got my act together and started putting a few in the net. After 2 hours I had 10 in the net no idea what Mark Walsh had on 22 or Steve Cottrell on 34. Tim Whitchurch on 9 had only had a couple. I started feeding the margins with pellet and corn and continued to feed 6mm pellet on my short line preparing for the second half. At the half way stage I had 18 in the net and decided to look at the short line. Well it was a good move. I stayed there for the rest of the match apart from a couple of looks down the margin that were very slow and a couple more fish across. I ended up with 41 carp for 159-02 and a win. Nice days fishing with plenty of bites. This venue is getting better and better. Mark was second with an all top two caught 135-04. Tim got third with 53lb and Steve had 51-02. The next open is in two weeks. Let's hope for a few more anglers.

1st, me, peg 6, 159-02
2nd, Mark Walsh, peg 22, 135-04
3rd, Tim Whitchurch, peg 9, 53lb
4th, Steve Cottrell, peg 34, 51-02

No comments:

Post a Comment