Saturday 18 June 2016

Landsend Saturday open

As I'm working tomorrow I was determined to make the most of today so it was off down the M5 to Landsend. As there was a club match on the match lake the 12 of us in attendance would be on lake 3. After a very nice breakfast it was into the bucket and peg 50 comes my way. Only fished this lake once so not much idea on what pegs are what. It did look nice at the end of an island but the single stalks of overhanging grass made it a nightmare. Just couldn't see them. Four rigs today. A .3 margin diamond to fish meat two metres off the right hand bank on a nice flat spot. A .4 slim to fish meat at 2+2 just to my left.  A .3 slim set up to fish for silvers if I was struggling for carp. This didn't get used so no more about that one. And a .1 shalla slim. To fish pellet tight across. This is a new float I've started making and gotta say I realy like it. The problems started when I was plumbing up. Dragged the rig into some invisible grass over to the island and trashed it before it ever got used. Glad I'd tied four of them up last night. It turned out I had to fish a metre short of the island or it was just non stop snagging up. At the start I fed all line and went straight over cattying 6's and fishing an 8mm on the band. Well to say it was a slow start is an understatement. After 30 minutes I'd only had 1 F1 And a small carp of around a pound. But as there was no sound of splashing fish anywhere I wasn't the only one struggling. But I kept at it feeding 20 pellets every couple of minutes and I did manage to put a couple more in the net. But foul hookers was a problem and I had pulled out of a few. There were fish slurping at the bank and every time I tried to get in tight I caught the grass stalks. Tourettes was starting to take hold. Rod Wooton opposit was struggling and was not enjoying the day especially as it was a bit chilly and wet. Though I recon he had found his flux capacitor as by the songs he was singing I recon he had travelled back 50 years in time. Though when he started whistling Whispering Grass i recon he was taking the piss lol. And I could hear Allen Oram saying he was struggling for bites. As nothing was coming my way I had a look on the meat lines. The close line to my right was devoid of any fish at this time. But the 2+2 meat line produced a couple of small F1's and a big perch of about 2lb and a couple of small skimmers. But the action didn't last long so it was back across to the island. The fish had turned up now and over the next couple of hours I put a dozen or so carp in the net but lost alot more. Plus two more grass trashed rigs. Tourettes now ramping up. With ninety minutes to go I came back to the meat lines as the far line went silly. Can only guess lots of whitebait had turned up as I'd missed about 20 bites in a row with not hook ups at all. Not even foulers. Another big perch came to the 2+2 line but that just wasn't working so I dropped in on the right hand side and the float buried and I was connected to something a bit bigger. But as my number 16 elastic bottomed out the hook pulled. Back in and ten minutes later another lump hooked and same result. Very frustrating. Then a good skimmer, a crusian and a small carp hit my net. Then yet another lump hooked that tore off and broke me. Tourettes now in full swing and I was tempted to bite my top kit in two lol. That was it for the day. Thought I had about 70lb but should have been way over the ton as I recon I lost alot more than I landed. The scales came around and I put 10-13 of silver and 46-12 of carp for a total of 57-09, which managed to get me second on the day. The match was won by Gary Flinders with 96-08 from peg 66. Rod Wooton was third from peg 62 with 47-06. Didn't fish that well today with most struggling. Very frustrating day as I'm sure if I could have got tighter to the island I would have had alot more. The island needs a hair cut.

1st Gary Flinders 96- 08 peg 66
2nd Stuart Barnett 57-09 peg 50
3rd Rod Wooton 47-06 peg 62

Silvers Eric Fouracres 12lb peg 68

No comments:

Post a Comment