Sunday 26 June 2016

Landsend open

Tony Rixon was running another of his well run opens today and with 25 expected it was to be spread over Match and Speci lakes. I was there in plenty of time for the obligatory cooked breakfast, and very nice it was too as usual. I was first in line at the draw and peg 13 stuck to my fingers. I've had a couple of wins from this peg in the past to was quite pleased. For company I had Jason 'Mini Me' Radford on 15, Adrian Jeffry on 16 and Pete nurse (I think) on 11, and with me and Adrian either side of Jason he was in for some verbal abuse lol.
Three rigs today.
A .1 shalla slim to fish the end bank tight to the tree stump with m pellet. It would also do for my right hand margin but I never ended up trying that.
A .4 slip to fish 16m out by the airiator with8mm over 6's on the deck.
And a .3 slim to fish meat at 2+2.
Fed all lines and by the time I had cupped in some pellets on the long line fish were fizzing over the meat line.
Popped a piece of meat on and lowered it in and the float never settled. Carp number one in the net. Happy days. Back in and a clue of minutes later a beautiful bright orange, golden tench was in the net. I fished this line for the first hour and put 4 carp, an f1, a good skimmer and the tench in the net but it then went quiet. By this time the Jason Radford comedy road show had us all laughing. He managed to put his slapper rig 10 feet up a tree on the island so of course we had to give him a serve of abuse lol. The squirrel jokes were flying. But as usual he takes it with a smile. He had a couple of decent carp but was struggling to get them going. Adrian was catching rarely steady but Pete was having a mare loosing just about everything he hooked. I switch to the end back a was rewarded with a run of fish. But foulers was a problem and was loosing quite a few. Then that went quiet. So back on the meat line. Stuck at that for a while but that line had just about dried up. So it was out to 16m where I had been feeding quite heavily with 6mm pellet and was soon onto fish. Again I was loosing a few but they were coming quick enough to keep at it. The rest of the match was spent swapping from the long line and the end bank and by the end I was guessing at around 150lb. I went around to follow the scales, and by the time they got to me Sean Townsend was top with 121lb. My fish took the scales around to 160-3 which was enough to put me top on the lake and see one overall. Just for a change Tony Rixon had top weight with 190-9 on peg 39 on Speci. Again a very nice days fishing amongst good company. What could be better. My second,  second place of the weekend. Im slowly getting better on these commercial fisheries. Its taken its bloody time.

1st Tony Rixon 190-9
2nd Me 160-3
3rd Russ Peck peg 18, 129-14
4th Glenn Bailey peg 36 126-14

No comments:

Post a Comment