Tuesday 7 June 2016

Acorn Tuesday cost cutter

Back to Acorn today for another go. Been doing Ok at this place lately so happy to be going there again. No breakfast on site today so it was a quick drive into Clevedon to find some nosh, and I got a very nice egg and bacon sarny at a roadside van. Lovely jubbly. Of to the venue and a dip into the bag and ping pong ball 1 sticks to my hand. Happy with that as Bob Gullick got a second place on saturday. For company I had the improving Tony Rixon on peg three, with whom I had a quid side bet, and Keith Turner at the other end of the island on 5. Four rigs today. A .15 shallow version of the slims I make to fish 6 or 8mm pellet across to the far side in 18 inches of water. A slapping rig incase they started cruising. A .3 slim to fish pellet at 2+1. And a .2 mugger to fish the margins with 8mm pellet over 6's the right side margin was around the end of the island so my pole was cross the grass. Camouflage lol. At the all in I dropped a few pellets on the 2+1 line and then went straight across at 13 metres with 6mm banded pellet. Only took about 3 minutes to get my first fish which was a decent stamp around 6lb. In the first half hour I had four and had opened up a bit of a lead over Tony, not that I thought that would last long. Stayed on this line for about and hour and a half keeping my lead then Tony did what he does best and started to slowly empty his peg. My fish slowed up, as Tony told me after I just didn't feed heavy enough. Though I did put in three pints of pellets by the end. Lesson learnt for Saturday. By mid way Tony was probably 5 fish up on me and I had to try something to pull it back. A look on my other lines produced nothing at this time, so I grabbed my slapper and shortened it to fish 6 inches deep tight against the bank cover to the island. This did produce a couple of decent fish but it wasn't producing enough. So it was back to the deck rig swapping from 6 to 8mm pellet. Stayed on it for another hour taking the odd fish but I was falling farther behind. With 90 minutes to go I spotted the first fish in the margin so it was on with an 8 mm pellet that's were I spent the rest of the match taking around 8 more fish mainly from the right margin. I was first to weigh and I put 25 carp on the scales for 95-12. Tony was next and I knew he'd done me like a dogs dinner, and he took top honours today with 138-04. A master class at fishing shallow. The island was the place to be as Keith weighed 73-8 of paste caught fish. The rest of the lake was bit of a struggle. To round the day off I thought I'd lost my phone so it was a march around the lake with no luck. But!!! I found it when I got home. I'd managed to drop it in my rod holdall and zip it up. What a plonker lol

1st, peg 3 Tony Rixon 138-04
2nd, peg 2 me 95-12
3rd, peg 5 Keith Turner 73-08
4th, peg 6 Mike Laird 53-09
5th, peg 25 Glen Bailey 51-10

No comments:

Post a Comment